2010 Journey or "Christine" Horn/Alarm issue IS THERE A FIX?

We bought a 2010 Journey SXT apx 1.5 yrs ago. It has started the random honking or alarm sounding on it's own as I have seen described by multiple other people. What I am failing to see is any actual posts stating that there is a FIX. With all pun intended, before I started my repair "journey" I wanted to do my research to see exactly what might cause such a thing.

Basically, I see that there is NO recall regarding the issue of the random horn blowing or alarm sounding (I really don't know if it is my horn or alarm that is an issue) whether the car is driving, parked, on or off.

I see that people have gone to dealerships and had the following done with apparently no success:

A) "SYSTEM UPDATE" - no fix (related to TIPM??)

B) Replace clockspring - no fix

C) TIPM reset/replace - not clear on this but I do see that the Journey is removed from a class action regarding the TIPM failure

After reading what some other Journey owners have gone through with the same horn or alarm issue, only then to read on and find out that they have also had the vehicle just shut off randomly, battery drain, etc... I feel almost "lucky" that mine, at least so far, has been isolated to just the horn. As of right this minute my husband has taken 2 fuses out as a temporary solution. This, when living in HOUSTON, is NOT an acceptable long term fix.

So my question is this... Has anyone actually had this very issue and had it completely resolved? If so, HOW? I find it almost impossible to believe that after 6 years and with so many posts regarding this very thing that nothing is a permanent fix. Every post seems to be the same. Went to dealership/mechanic, had ##### done, horn started honking again 2 days later. Went back to dealership/mechanic, had **** done.... Etc. I, like most other people out there, simply can not afford to continue to "troubleshoot" at a dealership or mechanic at anywhere from $200-$1500 per trip. I also have a Cadillac with a trans issue right now. (Maybe I should just take the bus!)

Any direction from you guys will be so greatly appreciated. Knowing what to expect and how to save $ to get this fixed is what is important, as I truly have to have a functioning horn. They can't hear my middle finger! Ugh.

*** Also read in the do's and don'ts forum help about taking a VIDEO of the issue. Has anyone had any success with video on this particular issue as ours seems to be so random, but I would love to send Chrysler a loop of the video and find out if they would like to be our "neighbor".

Edited by Wendy Tolson Whitney

When you say alarm, what do you mean? Do you have a remote start? Is the alarm part of the remote start? If so, is it OEM or aftermarket? If this is the case, I would disable the remote start and see what happens.

A bad TIPM: wipers start/stop by themselves/dash lights on/off by themselves/radio on/off by itself. With only horn/alarm, it has to be the remote start if you have it.

Edited by dhh3

• 1 year later...

Well, I know it's typically bad form to necropost, but I was searching for threads relative to my issue and found this old post by my wife! (hello dear!)

To answer your question, dhh3; yes we have remote start, but the issue has progressed well beyond the horn blowing issue. Approximately a year ago,  the horn relay issue got so bad that the battery was being totally drained if the car was not being driven daily. After replacing the battery once , I purchased a trickle charger to hook it up to if I had a couple days off and no plans for distance driving. Several months ago I began noticing random dash lights being on while the car was parked, most often the digital ram symbol but others as well. Then I saw one of the taillights would be on while parked, for several days in a row. At this point I haven't driven the car in several months and really need to figure out the best/most inexpensive way to repair this. Preferably myself.

Searches for after market tipm replacements have not been successful and I'm weary of purchasing one from a salvage yard. Are refurbished units available, and if so where?

my daughter had a jeep that started doing this and  we just unhooked the horn after we couldn't find the fix then later on the wipers coming on and off weather the jeep was running or not and other random things we ended up trading it in on a 2011 journey for me and i paid her what they gave for her jeep. later on i read somewhere that it might be from the main fuse block under the hood shorting out. so good luck .....

last week my 2010 started randomly honking, sometimes a short chirp sometimes a long honk for a few seconds. It was completely random. My guess is something to do with the heat and something under the hood is expanding and shorting out somewhere. I haven't had time to get into it yet so i just pulled the fuse. Haven't tried to put fuse back in yet.