Service AWD

dpisarek

wow!!! i have all the same issues as you do and just today my all wheel drive light came on out of nowhere. this is my first jeep, chrysler, dodge purchase and FOR SURE THE LAST! the only answer i ever get is "its regular wear and tear" i had a pontiac that i drove forever and only had minor repairs done on it in its 5th year of owner ship. i have had all kinds of stuff done to this vehicle since being the 2nd owner of it.

You could always trade in your Dodge for a new Pontiac...Oh yah, i forgot they don't exist anymore! :hysterical:

Boy, the more I read about AWD, the more satisfied I am without it. What good is it, if going up a slippery hill, goes into AWD, the light comes on and your back to FWD? Going up the hill, would you have to shut the engine off to have AWD again? It was posted that light would not be on the next day.

A couple of years ago, Car and Driver did a test of Suvs. They were on the sand dunes in Western Michigan. The Durango ended up pulling all of the others out, when their clutch packs or whatever, overheated and made the AWD system unusable!

Boy, the more I read about AWD, the more satisfied I am without it. What good is it, if going up a slippery hill, goes into AWD, the light comes on and your back to FWD? Going up the hill, would you have to shut the engine off to have AWD again? It was posted that light would not be on the next day.

A couple of years ago, Car and Driver did a test of Suvs. They were on the sand dunes in Western Michigan. The Durango ended up pulling all of the others out, when their clutch packs or whatever, overheated and made the AWD system unusable!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith into a lot of these posts... At least not enough to call the AWD system useless. The manual is very clear about how it works and why these things are happening. If you use the system within it's means, it works quite well. As Locosiete stated, it is usually something that occurs when you are driving far too aggressively, or perhaps if you panic and really nail the throttle in slippery conditions. Also, I'm fairly confident that this is the same AWD system that is in the Durango and the Charger (i'm sure someone with more intimate knowledge of the vehicle can verify or deny that).

This is my second winter with my DJ and it hasn't been as cold like last year. I haven't had the service AWD light come on but a couple times this winter and that was only after turning off the traction control and accelerating very hard on purpose to spin the tires to try and make the light find on.

I am almost curious if it was still breaking in and that is why it was so picky and/or it just didn't like single digit weather. Needless to say i have not had any issues with it at all and am very impressed how well it's done this year in the ice and snow.

There has been a couple times i felt it slip for a moment but it corrected itself quickly and at no point did i feel like i lost control.

For the Pontiac reference i will say we have owned 2, a 98 Grand Prix GT & 08 Grand Prix, Both were nice for their class but trouble free is not how i would describe either one

The 98 we traded in due to tranny issues and 08 because we wanted something more dependable in snow and ice for wife since she drives allot for her work and has a commute once a week 150 miles out of town.

Thanks for reporting back.

• 1 month later...

I have this issue as well.. After 10 months of owning brand new the AWD light flashes like a banshee if I play with the vehicle in snow with traction off.. Never had this issue playing in the snow before with my other German AWD vehicles. Anyhow, haven't made it to the stealership yet to see if they could 'reset it' or if there actually is an issue with the AWD sensor. It does reset itself after a while though.

I have this issue as well.. After 10 months of owning brand new the AWD light flashes like a banshee if I play with the vehicle in snow with traction off.. Never had this issue playing in the snow before with my other German AWD vehicles. Anyhow, haven't made it to the stealership yet to see if they could 'reset it' or if there actually is an issue with the AWD sensor. It does reset itself after a while though.

Your manual is very clear about why this is happening...

When talking AWD between different car makers it's apples and oranges.

Some are bullet proof and others are marketing tools that work in a simplistic

fashion , you can't compare a Dodge to a Mercedes,Audi or Subaru.