P0013, and P0023

James T

I have a 2015 Dodge Journey. It has the 3.6L.  has 52k miles. Going to work this morning, The MIL came on. The car was still driving well and I was only a few miles to work. I kept driving. after a mile, the cars did not stop or hesitate, the RPM's slowed to nothing and I started crawling. By the time I got off at the next exit, it was telling me to check the traction control system. I shut the car off and had it towed. Connected the OBD II meter and now I am getting a P0013 and P0023 code. The 0013 code is Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1) and the 0023 is Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 2). I read a few forums and found in some cases, old oil or wrong oil weight. I have only used 5W 20 oil, which is what it calls for. I went ahead and changed the oil, which was 1000 miles before I had to change and cleared the codes. This did not fix. Could you help and lead me in the right direction? Thanks kindly.

James

A code P0013 (circuit failure in the B {exhaust} camshaft actuator, bank 1) and P0023 (circuit failure in the B {Exhaust} camshaft actuator on Bank 2) may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Damaged, or malfunctioning ECM.
  • Defective, or malfunctioning oil flow control valve control solenoid.
  • Breaks in wiring causing loss of continuity, or intermittent loss of continuity.

Note: “Circuit Malfunction” indicates that there is a malfunction in the control circuit, as opposed to a fault in a sensor or other component. With “Circuit Malfunction” codes, replacement of sensors and components in the affected circuit will almost never resolve the problem, since as the code suggests, the trouble is in the circuit. This distinction between “circuit” and “sensor/component” is a great help to anyone trying to diagnose a circuit malfunction code, since it narrows the list of possible causes down considerably.

The causes of “Circuit Malfunction” codes are much the same as those for “Open Circuits” i.e., broken wiring, poor connections across electrical connectors or previously repaired wiring, loss of ground that prevents current flow, blown fuses, defective relays, faulty switches, or any of a host of other issues and problems that prevents a flow of current through wiring. Issues like high/low/intermittent voltages can set a “Circuit Malfunction” code on some applications. Moreover, “Circuit Malfunction” codes could also indicate a problem with negative current control / flow, as well as issues with failed or failing PCM’s (Powertrain Control Modules), although control module failure is a rare event.