Left front brake drag

NiceTrip

On my 2009 Journey, I have a longstanding issue causing the left front brake to drag.  At first I didn't notice it while driving, I just had uneven brake wear. The first time I saw this, I checked the obvious things like caliper pins, and didn't find a cause, so I replaced the caliper and flex hose, and figured it was fixed.  A few thousand miles later, the left front pads were worn out again. This time I replaced the ABS hydraulic control module.  Now it's bad enough that 10 miles at highway speed heats things up enough that I get a vibration when I brake, and when I stop the left front wheel is noticeably hotter than the right.  So I went ahead and did the 2014 front brake upgrade, replacing both front calipers, rotors, and pads with the upgraded dual cylinder calipers and 330 mm rotors.  Still the left front gets hot at highway speeds. I don't see any kinks in the hard brake line, though I haven't replaced that yet.  

I'm pretty sure this is a pressure retention issue, because if I jack up the car and spin the wheel I can feel resistance, but if I crack open the line or bleeder, it releases.  Also I would expect replacing the caliper and mounting bracket would fix any mechanical sticking.  Could this be a master cylinder problem?  Does the journey use a front/rear split for primary/secondary, or is it diagonal?  I'll try and check the rear for uneven wear to check for this problem, but what else can I check.  I'm tired of throwing money at this problem, and don't feel safe driving the car for long distances as it is.

i had the same problem the caliper would get very hot after driving on the freeway in rush hour traffic, replacing it and ceramic pads seem to fix it, however i did learn that there is a different rotor for cars with adjustable pedals, why i dont know? maybe that is part of the problem. 

you might want to check the  BAS system .. it's the stability control. my 2009 did that a year and a half ago . after replacing the   front brake the left side still got warm.  i ended up disconnection the battery for ten minutes and then pushing the  brake pedal to drain any remaining stored battery voltage. after replacing the battery start the car and before moving turn the stearing  lock to lock returning to center.  

make sure the  car is on a level surface.  

Edited by Dusty256

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 1/22/2017 at 9:33 PM, Dusty256 said:

you might want to check the  BAS system .. it's the stability control. my 2009 did that a year and a half ago . after replacing the   front brake the left side still got warm.  i ended up disconnection the battery for ten minutes and then pushing the  brake pedal to drain any remaining stored battery voltage. after replacing the battery start the car and before moving turn the stearing  lock to lock returning to center.  

make sure the  car is on a level surface.  

This actually worked!! Thanks @Dusty256. Had brake troubles for about 6 months! Replaced everything. Same issue, front brakes were dragging bad, especially driver’s side. Over heating. Found this post and was skeptical. @Dusty256 proved me wrong. Took a couple days to fully free up but it immediately improved after doing the reset. 
by the way, the Negative extension on the shock tower under the hood disconnects power. (Don’t have to get to the battery to disconnect). Hope this helps. 
@Dusty256, I have a cold ? ready for you when ever you would like to collect!!?

Edited by Blazer454
Add position