After market "chip"

Tinboat

Has anyone had experience with these after market chips that are supposed to increase horsepower along with increased MPG's? Is it a "If it sounds to good to be true....." kinda thing?

the ones on Ebay that say "if you can plug a light into a socket then you can do this" yah i got one for another car, its a resistor that gets put in the incoming air temp sensor, and basically makes the car think the air coming in is ~100F

total bogus!

the ones on Ebay that say "if you can plug a light into a socket then you can do this" yah i got one for another car, its a resistor that gets put in the incoming air temp sensor, and basically makes the car think the air coming in is ~100F

total bogus!

the only aftermarket chips that function are once that remap and plug into the ECU directly:

Diablo chips, super chips...just to name the 2 major ones.

But the best tune, is always one done on a dynoJet to simulate real would results after a tune has been done. Most local tuning shops can do that for you...and they use superchips or diablo.

As for the resister...you might get 1 that functions right, but over all they are snake oil.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just installed a GTE Performance Chip that adjusts the fuel/air mixture and the timing. Took me 10 minutes; cost me $79 from http://www.performancechiptuning.com

They say it will take at least a week for the chip to "reprogram" the ECU, but after 2 days, I am already seeing a 1.5 mpg increase. We'll see if it's "snake oil" or not; but if it makes my engine run more efficiently with more MPGs and HP then it was worth it. Can be removed just as easily too if necessary.

• 3 months later...

I purchased the same GTE Performance Chip from performancehiptuning.com Just as MaddBulldog did and on the on the first day we were getting better gas. We normally would get around 15mpg in town and about 19.5-21mpg on the highway... First day of the chip we were in town and no problems at all, and we got about 18mpg, we were amazed. Then third day we went on our weekly road trip, which would normally take about 3/4 of a tank of gas. On the way to our destination, the fuel economy continued to rise, until half way in the day it reached 22mpg, which was nice as it was after we reached our destination and we were in town driving. It stayed there the entire day and when trip was over, we only used just under 1/2 a tank. We were amazed again. Now for the last couple of days we have been in town and it has dropped slowly to 19mpg and is hanging around that. The HP does seem to be a tad better or no change at all. We have the device set to the middle setting. It can be adjusted higher setting for fuel economy or lower setting for HP.

We run only premium fuel and every great now and again we add some fuel treatment. Just like MaddDog said in an different review, the engine error light comes on, and checks to be a default code, which can be reset or left alone and it should go away. I would recommend this device to anyone wanting to save gas. It is very small, about the size of a half dollar piece or less and has two wires, it just ties into the air sensor that is on top of your air intake hose on the back of your air filter box. very easy to connect.

<ol>

<li>check out this review ...ebay.com/Performance-quot-chips-quot-Do-they-re...  if it was this easy to increase MPG and or H. P. the car compines would have put them on the cars from the factory. as they always want their cars to have more horse power and great gas mileage to help sell them and to meet goverment requirements on MPG. now it is possible to tune to get more power out of engines but that will not get you better MPG and you will have to run premium gas.if you to an engine to get better MPG you will lose HP. it is that simple to understand. also why is it the posters on here telling us about great gas mileage and or other gadgets that can be bought and put on your car with hardly any trouble have only just 2 or real low postings. they may be real but i suspect they are just spreading false or misleading info.... just be carefull before doing any thing to your new cars that might void your warrenty or damage your eng... IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE,well you know the rest.   just my 2 cents worth.  that saying has served me well for 59 years so far...........</li>

</ol>

I'm a real 2010 Dodge journey owner. I am not an engine master, but I do know that car companies do NOT want to give you the best most fuel efficient car they can. Government has regulations on every end of the automobile industry and where they leave off, the large automobile companies take over trying to get every dime out of you they can, trust that. Also, no the mention that the oil industries that are worth billions, Do you really think that they are all for the "gas saver"? Go think about that a bit.

The device I listed above does work. I have more fuel at the end of the week now than I did before. There is a ying to this yang though..... : I have had the default check engine light on since about a week after I installed it. This was for-warned by Madd Bulldog. Though he said his went off, mine has not. I will be calling the manufacturer of the part tomorrow. I will update this post when I have and answer.

I will also not stand here and say that That device will not cause the dealer to "TRY" to void your warranty, though there is a law that says that they must prove that any device installed directly caused something to go wrong with your vehicle before they can void your warranty. I will say that it seems like a worthwhile risk ATM. I may feel differently after I talk with them. Stay tuned for my next post. I have to work like most of everyone else, so if I am late with my response then please forgive me, but I will post asap.

Ok, I have had the chip mentioned above by myself and The Madd Bulldog on my 2010 SXT Journey for over a month now. The check engine light is on constantly, I did have a tech at autozone check it, which was indicated to be a bad IAC, which is wrong as it is the chip causing the error, and he was a friend of mine so he reset the code for me, which is not legal in general. I finalized the results to be an average of about 1.5 -2.5 mpg increase with a slightly noticeable increase in engine response with the chip in place. That is with the chip set in the middle position. Now you can make a choice. Live with the proposed engine check light coming on when high temp changes occur and then have it reset, assuming you know someone or have a code reader yourself; or go without it and not have to worry about trying to explain to the service dept what it is if you are under warranty. We all know that these are just rheostats that change the way the IAS reports the air temp in order to control the amount of fuel and air mixture into the engine, but the dealer, if under warranty, will see it as a way to try to void your warranty if anything related at all to the air/fuel mixture goes wrong, i can assure you.

We chose to remove it for now. We may put it back later on, so I am saving it, but I am going to wait a couple of months for sure. Also consider, if you save 2mpg, how long will it take you to pay off 80$ at that rate? :headspin: