Out dated NAV map on 2015 Journey & Receiving traffic info

Dear fellow Vancouverites, is your Navigation map on the 8.4N not showing the completed Highway 17 (South Fraser Perimeter Road)?

And for other folks is your NAV Map not showing any new major roadway/freeway that was completed at least 2 years ago in your area?

Mine (2015 Journey) only shows partially completed Hwy17(SFPR) between Pattullo Bridge and 176 street. The whole Hwy17(SFPR) highway project (from 176 st to Tsawwassen Ferry) was completed back in 2013 and I am surprised that it is not on the map! The new (now 3 years old) HWY17(SFPR) & HWY91 interchange is not on the map as well. Every time I drove on the Hwy17(SFPR) starting from Pattullo bridge to Alex Fraser bridge it just shows I am driving on grass at speed. :cool:

I've updated the Radio and NAV with the latest update (Release date: 2015-07-14 NAV 6.22) but still not seeing it. So my question is, do we need a base map update or just patiently wait that it would be part of the updates in the future?

Question about Traffic info: I rarely see the Traffic Icon. I only saw it a few times. When it magically show up, it only appears for a few days and then disappeared for months. Is yours the same? and is it based on the FM technology or Sirrus Traffic Data? (note: The Travel Link and Sirrus Traffic Data is not available in Canada.)

Thanks!

FCA's OEM mapping is woefully out of date and while traffic data for Canada is broadcast, for some reason Sirius does not enable it, even though the manual says we're supposed to have it for 5 years gratis.

The base map has nothing to do with the details you see - it is only used to provide some minimal information when you are outside of the coverage of the main maps.

One really nice thing about the RB5 is that is combines both GPS AND dead reckoning, something very few navigators do - it allows the unit to work in garages and through long tunnels without losing lock.

Edited by bramfrank

Dear fellow Vancouverites, is your Navigation map on the 8.4N not showing the completed Highway 17 (South Fraser Perimeter Road)?

And for other folks is your NAV Map not showing any new major roadway/freeway that was completed at least 2 years ago in your area?

Mine (2015 Journey) only shows partially completed Hwy17(SFPR) between Pattullo Bridge and 176 street. The whole Hwy17(SFPR) highway project (from 176 st to Tsawwassen Ferry) was completed back in 2013 and I am surprised that it is not on the map! The new (now 3 years old) HWY17(SFPR) & HWY91 interchange is not on the map as well. Every time I drove on the Hwy17(SFPR) starting from Pattullo bridge to Alex Fraser bridge it just shows I am driving on grass at speed. :cool:

I've updated the Radio and NAV with the latest update (Release date: 2015-07-14 NAV 6.22) but still not seeing it. So my question is, do we need a base map update or just patiently wait that it would be part of the updates in the future?

6.22 does not update the maps, you need the actual map update which normally has to be purchased from Chrysler. The problem is, the map info they provide is terribly outdated, and their updates are few and far between. In addition, even trying to order a map update is cumbersome. You must get a 10-digit number from your radio, enter it in a website form, and then load a USB stick in your vehicle which supposedly copies the version number and other info. You then load the stick into your home computer and it's supposed to check to see which map version you have. Problem is, for me anyway, it never works and all I get is an error. There is no way to order a map update without going through this ridiculous process, and I was unable to order an update. You can look at what map version you have via a screen on the radio, so why this isn't good enough to be able to order a newer version I don't understand.

Years ago, it USED to be easy, the would issue map updates every year, so you could order accordingly ("2011 update", "2012 update", etc.). Even then, the maps were a couple years old, I found out the hard way. I ordered a new disc and paid $150. Upon reviewing the disc I noticed that the files were two years old. I contacted navteq several times to request a refund, but they never even bothered to reply.

Although not an easy process, I ended up going an "alternate route" and updated my maps with a very current version. I'm not from Vancouver, but I did look up the HWY 17 you mentioned and it is there.

Maybe someday Chrysler will get their act together and offer current updates at a reasonable price, but don't get your hopes up.