Bug Deflector = Noise....

Well since my Journey has an aluminum hood and a large sloping windshield, I decided to add a bug deflector to help with stone chips on the hood and windshield. I decided on one from Auto Ventshade I picked up at my local AutoZone for about $49. I got it home and installed it in about 10 minutes, all was good so far. I drove it around town and all was still well, but when I got on the Interstate and reached 60 mph I heard a terrible vibration noise. My first thought was that the bug deflector was the cause of the noise, so I decided to experiment and I installed about a 4' length of foam pipe insulation behind the bug deflector, but this did not change my nosie.

Now I expected that the bug deflector would change the airflow over the car, so I looked at the base of the windshield. There are two plastic trim pieces just behind the hood over the wipers. These are the cheapest crappiest trim pieces I've ever seen, they are only held on with a few plastic rivets and appearantly hold each other on the car. The top piece comes off easy enough so I removed it and drove the car, no change. Next I tried to remove the lower piece, but this is not possible without removing the wiper arms, so I just gave up and reinstalled everything.

Next I contacted the manufacturer of the bug deflector and asked if they had any compaints, but apperantly the deflector for the Journey is too new, so we'll wait and see if anyone else complains. I did have the car at the dealer to have the sun visor replaced and I asked them to look at the plastic trim pieces at the base of the windshield, they mentioned that they had another complaint after the owner installed a bug delflector, but they indicated it was kind of my problem since I installed the bug deflector. Even though Dodge sells a bug deflector for about $90, I wonder if anyone has had one of these installed and if it also has the same problem.

Anyone else have any experience with their Journey and a bug deflector?

I got my bug deflector put on about 2 months ago. and shortly after that I noticed i really annoying squeaking sound when the body of the vehicle would shift/move. realized it was the bug deflector rubbing on the headlight casing. so they removed it and put in on at a different angle.

That seemed to fix the problem for about a week, and since then it has come back. I think it may just be something with the shape of the deflectors mixed with the hood that causes it to rub, may be something we have to live with.

Yeah I'm sure that my noise is a result of the bug deflector, but not the deflector itself. I can't quite get my head far enough into the winshield to see, but the noise is definitely comming from the base of the windshield. I can see the bug deflector while driving and it seems rock solid.

Since my first post I've been in touch with the manufacturer of the bug deflector and as it turns out they are only about 1 hour from my house. So I took the car by for them to have a look and a test drive and they agreed to make a modified deflector for me to try. Yesterday we installed the new deflector and sadly is was no different. I did learn however that this company actually makes the OEM version for Chrysler, so the factory deflector is no different than my after-market one (except that mine cost half the price of the Chrysler version).

Once again I contacted the dealer to help me with this problem, since I was sure it was caused by the loose plastic over the wipers. They agreed to replace the plastic cowling, however like most Chrysler parts, there are none available and it is on back-order.

So we'll wait and see, I'll let you know how I make out.