Good afternoon. Throughout the past couple years of having my dodge journey, I have come across many individuals who have struggled to find the right wiring harness that would allow them to tow a trailer if they so choose. Coming across multiple mixed reviews, it eventually led me to installing the CURT C13335 trailer hitch (used it for a bike rack and nothing more). With further research I noticed there was often times discussion between getting the OEM harness or the CURT C56154. As I conducted my research it seemed as if the there was a common demominator between the reviews and most voiced concerns about both options. The OEM wiring harness from first glance may seem to be the easiest install, due to existing wiring. Unfortunately the additional wiring that is required for purchase costs about $60+....... plus the required FLASH....... Individuals on this forum state it takes a couple hours to complete the FLASH at the dealership.... So labor will most likely be between $50-$100 or more depending on your relationship with the dealership, etc.... Now comes the CURT wiring harness at $59+. Through first hand experiences with family and by reading the forums/reviews, this harness has a tendancy to have a too short of wire running from the drivers rear to passengers rear, creating problems during setup (required alot of splicing, etc).... When trying to weigh my options I came across the TOWREADY 118536.. I was skeptical at first because I had never heard of it and did not know of anyone who had personally used it. Fortunately it was an absolute breeze to install. I had to conduct the install on the ground (which was not very fun but not terrible). That being said it took me approximately 2 1/2 hours (note I also already had a hitch installed...No taking off the rear bumper, removing the hitch or lowering the spare). No splicing of wires was required, all wires were more than long enough and no FLASH of the vehicle was required... I paid a total of $48 for the entire package (plus my time and labor of course lol). This was my first electrical project that I have ever completed and it truly was very easy. Just think through your options when purchasing a wiring harness. None of these three wiring harness' will lead you wrong I am sure, but from my experience, the TOWREADY was the cheapest, had better reviews than the CURT, was easier to install, outstanding quality and works perfectly!

Edited by Vegas.Bred.Adrenaline

If you look at the wires going to the tail lights, they are tiny; not like the thicker wires of days gone by. I do not believe that these wires were made to take the amps necessary for more lights. Just my opinion. The Mopar harness has 4 little boxes on it. I'm not really sure what they are for, but this harness plugs into a harness already installed, which runs from behind the outside edge of the spare up to the front of the vehicle: independent of the tail light wires. I have had the short harness installed by my Dealer's Body Shop because I backed into a truck that was not visible in my mirrors or the camera (I was concentrating on the small Caliber on my side, and the truck was not fully pulled into its parking spot. I did not feel the "hit". I have a hard time turning my body in my back brace. Since I had to have my bumper replaced (no metal damage, thank God), I asked the Body Shop to install the harness before they installed my new bumper. They had no idea what the little boxes were either (maybe small transformers?). For some reason, the Trailer Tow Prep was not listed on my Build Sheet, but it was installed on my DJ. If I didn't have this, I probably would have had to go aftermarket, or have the harness that runs from the front to back installed. I feel using the Factory Harness (2 pcs), independent of the tail light wires, is much safer, but that is my opinion.

Edited by dhh3