Transmission woes shifting to drive is slow

Dusty256

Just bought his thing last month and now the transmission seems to be acting up. It's always had that annoying stutter coming up to a light or putting slow to a stop . Like when you dump a clutch downshifting .

Well today I was coming up to my normal turn off and decided to drop in neutral and come to a stop to see if it made a difference. I also put in manual in low and drove it slow and shifted up through the gears while moving slowly... When I pulled in my drive way it dropped hard back to first gear I was only moving about five..

Now after doing that the transmission is slow to go in to drive. Pops in to reverse right away but move the selector to drive and you have to tap the gas a little to get it to pop in gear....

Went to a tranny shop but they want 200 just tell me what's going on. On the way home the drivers side caliper locked so I had to stop and free it up..the teams was working hard to keep the truck moving and when I pulled in to a parking lot it seemed to work ok , in to drive smooth. When I got home it seemed okay socixjust went in and cooled off.

When I went back out to take it for a spin at first it went right in to gear but after a block long drive when I turned around it started doing it again.

Fluid level is right where it should be and does not smell Burt

Truck has 128,000 miles and not sure if the transmission has ever been service..

The first owner kept the service up but not the second. Not sure when the tranny was last serviced but going to have a filter and fluid change done. Called a tranny shop and they sort off said the same thing. That and input output speed sensors. I put her on a scanner and the only code I get is from changing out the battery p1684 ..

Going to sort out the brakes in the morning when it's cool , looks like the slides are cruddy and need a good cleaning and lube..

Figured with a used truck problems would pop up but they are so far not as bad as the caddie I had which had a ton of problems

Would the solenoid pack throw a code if it's bad ? I am not getting any codes.. Took it out for a quick test drive again and when I pulled back in the drive way it started acting ok.... Funny thing back in the 80's i had a mopar that you had to rev it to go in reverse. Was the modulator but I never fixed it ...

Looking on line I can get a solenoid pack for about $150.00 so that's not bad to try it out. Wonder if I should get the flush and fill first I have a coupon with a local tranny shop for $89.00 for the service. They also have a coupon for a free inspection and put it on the computer.. Afraid of transmissions shops as they want your money.

It is possible that the clutch in the torque converter is no longer working properly. It should lock between 35 - 40 mph, and unlock around the same speed. If you go for new fluid, get it flushed to get all of the old fluid out of the torque converter. New fluid may free up the clutch.

Would the solenoid pack throw a code if it's bad ? I am not getting any codes.. Took it out for a quick test drive again and when I pulled back in the drive way it started acting ok.... Funny thing back in the 80's i had a mopar that you had to rev it to go in reverse. Was the modulator but I never fixed it ...

Looking on line I can get a solenoid pack for about $150.00 so that's not bad to try it out. Wonder if I should get the flush and fill first I have a coupon with a local tranny shop for $89.00 for the service. They also have a coupon for a free inspection and put it on the computer.. Afraid of transmissions shops as they want your money.

I had a '98 Caravan that the solenoid pack needed to be replaced

and it did not generate codes just erratic shifts.

Edited by bigtsr