Newer 8.4N/AN in a 2011 Journey?

Hey guys,

I've looked around and have yet to find a definitive yes or no.

I have a 2011 Journey with the 8.4 screen with navigation.

Anyone with that model knows, it has some "quirks"...

Anyway, my bluetooth just ended up taking a dive and I'm sure I'll have to replace that module... which got me thinking...

Is there anyway a newer model of the 8.4 with navigation (either AN or N) would work in my 2011?

I think it'd be nice to have some of the initial issues gone as well as the "apps" functionality.

My expectations on this aren't very high, but curiosity is getting the best of me and since after-market radios (other than chinese clones) are out of the question, I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any information.

You can install an RB5 (8.4N) into your vehicle, but you already have an RB5, based on what you wrote. The 'A' variant does not work in the Journey. But be aware that the Bluetooth module is external to the radio. So either way you need to get that fixed.

Edited by bramfrank

You can install an RB5 (8.4N) into your vehicle, but you already have an RB5, based on what you wrote. The 'A' variant does not work in the Journey. But be aware that the Bluetooth module is external to the radio. So either way you need to get that fixed.

Thanks for the response. All the topics I've read up until this point have sort of indicated what you have confirmed, that the bluetooth is separate. It was just what sparked the thought.

Are there RB5s that are newer than the RB5 in the 2011? I ask because, the units in the 2011 had issues where gracenote was screwed up, sirius traffic was not available, and playing songs for the ipod connection caused them to end 4 seconds early. There are other quirks as well, I was just curious if I could pop-in a newer revision RB5... apps would have been nice though (as I understand that's what the 'A' designates on the 8.4AN?).

What "apps" are you referring to? Be aware the Uconnect only supports Apple Products up to v7.1. I have 8.3, and my phone works, but my iPod with 7.1 does not. I put all my music on an SD card and figured out how to make it work like an iPod. This is the only thing in my DJ that I absolutely hate: these new radios. I love the new big screen, but hate the radio. Why the hell did they have to remove the 30 gig HD?

I've been using my DJ with my iphone for a while now and I know it *worked* before the bluetooth junked out on the uconnect.

(edit: obviously it still works when it's directly plugged in via USB)

As for the "apps", I was referring to on that "A" variant of the 8.4.

http://www.driveuconnect.com/support/identify-your-system/

I was referring to apps that are a part of uconnect access.

http://www.driveuconnect.com/features/uconnect_access/

Also, curiously, it says that Sirius XM Traffic is included on the RB5 but I didn't think that feature was ever supported on the 2011?

post-3967-0-03890100-1439312298_thumb.pn

Edited by savante21

I can tell you that traffic works on my RB5 - however mine is a second generation (post-2012) radio . . . have you called uConnect support? It may require a firmware upgrade.

Not that it impacts on you, because you are in the US, but I can tell you that Sirius claims traffic isn't offered in Canada. They told me that it is limited to testing only and only to Ford and Mercedes - I had a spirited discussion with them over that. In the end I managed to get them to switch my account to the US organisation and traffic did start working - and it works very well.

I can also tell you that for some reason the Sirius Travelink does not work on radios in Canadian vehicles - we don't get the 'more' icon, even though the radio is identical to that in the US. I suspect that this is a regional feature, enabled by a parameter in the vehicle's BCM . . . . I have the Travelink subscription on my radio - it shows as bring subscribed in the dealer menu, but there is simply no access to the feature.

I have a 8.4/RE2. Still do not know what apps you are referring to, unless it has something to do with NAV. I wish that there was a way to swap out this RE2 for an RBZ mygig, which I had in my Nitro.

the newer 8.4's on other vehicles have apps like Pandora that are run through the stereo. As bramfrank stated, they are not an option for the Journey (hence why he is asking if he can install it and get said apps).

One more question, now that I have hyjacked this thread: what does AN stand for?

I assumed the AN stood for "Access" as in "Uconnect Access" and "Navigation" respectively.

My unit is an 8.4N ( with navigation and as mentioned, the journey's don't have Uconnect Access/Apps on our uconnect), units without navigation are just 8.4

Edited by savante21

The 'A" DOES stand for Access - and, if you live in the US (according to the manual, ONLY in the US) then your 8.4A or 8.4AN can be connected to the cellular network if you have an appropriate subscription.

The system allows you to remotely lock and unlock your car, can tell you where the car is located and send messages if the alarm goes off, provides the option for enabling a WiFi hotspot, has an HD radio receiver and so on.

I've also read that the 'A' has all of the necessary hardware and firmware to do navigation and that it can be enabled after the fact though a keycode.

But again, it isn't available on the Journey

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize before hand if this has been answered somewhere already but I have a 2011 Journey LUX that has the 8.4N. My question is, are the 8.4N units from the 2013 to present different than the 2011-12 units? It would be nice to have the Sirius Traffic and also looks like the Garmin maps are better from 2013 to present. I was just curious if I got a newer 8.4N if it will work in my 2011. I found a site that sells the OEM 8.4N but according to them 2011 to present are all the same units so I wasn't sure if it is a different firmware or if there is actually a difference in the unit itself.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Maps are maps. The maps in your unit can be updated. Newer hardware will not display the maps any differently.

The only OEM nav radio that fits in the Journey is the RB5, which is what you have now There is a newer revision of hardware, released during the 2012 model year but to the best of my knowledge, the only thing it brings to the table software-wise is an antitheft lock code. AFAIK the older hardware version should support traffic . . . . . is there a traffic submenu in your unit's navigator setting menu?

If you haven't done it yet, firmware updates have been released for the RB5 radio. There is a web site where you can check to see if there are firmware (as opposed to map) updates:

https://driveuconnect.com/software-update/

Factory nav radios are supposed to come with a 5 year traffic subscription from SiriusXM

Edited by bramfrank