Towing with '14 SE

jeefunk

So I have a 2014 DJ SE. I've been dreaming about getting a camper and extremely saddened to read that the towing capacity is only 1,000 pounds. Yes, I probably should have done more homework before purchasing, but my camper dream is much closer to realization than it was before.Do any other SE (or other 4-cylinder engine models) owners have experience towing w/their DJ? Would love to hear some advice on how it performs & anything else I should keep in mind.

So I have a 2014 DJ SE. I've been dreaming about getting a camper and extremely saddened to read that the towing capacity is only 1,000 pounds. Yes, I probably should have done more homework before purchasing, but my camper dream is much closer to realization than it was before.Do any other SE (or other 4-cylinder engine models) owners have experience towing w/their DJ? Would love to hear some advice on how it performs & anything else I should keep in mind.

You should check out Napier Sportz SUV and Mini Van tents on the Auto Anything website as an alternative. Just Google Dodge Journey Camping Accessories.

Were you thinking of a small pop up camper? Frontal area (wind resistance) is very important. You have a 4 speed transmission. If you can stay close to the 1,000 pounds, consider an aux transmission cooler.

From what I understand, the V6s used to be 3,500, but are now rated at 2,500. Try and find out if the older DJs with a 4 cylinder were rated higher. You may be OK, but I would definitely get the cooler.

How much does your camper weight? How tall is it? Wind resistance comes into play when towing tall campers.

Do you plan to tow in the mountains?

My camper doesn't exist yet...."dreaming about getting a camper." Will likely be a pop-up due to weight considerations.

Regarding mountains: I'd say more hilly than mountainous.

You should check out Napier Sportz SUV and Mini Van tents on the Auto Anything website as an alternative. Just Google Dodge Journey Camping Accessories.

mThanks for the suggestion. I've seen something similar to those, but My wife isn't a fan of camping in general, so getting her to do something that involves sleeping on the ground is out of the question.

Were you thinking of a small pop up camper? Frontal area (wind resistance) is very important. You have a 4 speed transmission. If you can stay close to the 1,000 pounds, consider an aux transmission cooler.

From what I understand, the V6s used to be 3,500, but are now rated at 2,500. Try and find out if the older DJs with a 4 cylinder were rated higher. You may be OK, but I would definitely get the cooler.

I'm thinking it would almost HAVE to be a popup with that little weight. A teardrop camper or something similar would be too cramped.

I read in mutliple places that my year/model the limit was 1,000 pounds.

V6 With trailer towing prep: 3500

V6 without trailer towing prep: 2000

The prep package gives you a larger radiator. 12 vs 9.8 quarts

Mine is a 4-cylinder.

^^ Yep all 4 cylinder models are capped at 1000 pounds. You could try more weight than that. But keep in mind that the Journey is already a fairly heavy vehicle. I think a small camper is doable as long as you arent in the mountains or anything. Tow ratings for passenger vehicles tend to be on the conservative side.

A rav4 tows 1500 pounds and a cx5 tows 2000 pounds with similar 4 cylinder engines.

Were the 4 cylinders always rated @ 1,000 pounds from the beginning?