Alpine SPS-110TW Component Tweeters

I just purchased a set of these to replace the dash speakers. The tweeter housings have threads to screw onto their base. They can be surface mounted, or reside below the dash grill. The base is slightly angled so they can be positioned to throw the sound in whatever direction is best. They come with an inline crossover, since the dash speakers are already full spectrum. In speaking with Crutchfield, there is no direct replacement made for the dash speakers, and I read on the forum that this is because of their shape. These tweeters also have an odd shaped mounting plate which may work, so they can be installed under the dash grills.

Idealy, I would like them mounted by drilling a hole in the speaker grate on the dash. Only the top of the speaker would be visible, and they could be aimed in the best direction for sound. If the mounting plate works, they could be mounted under the dash grill. I will have the tech at Best Buy North Store install them as he did a great job with the Kicker Underseat Sub Enclosure/Amp. I have already replaced all of my door speakers with 2-way 6x9 Alpines; so this is the "end of the line" for sound improvements for me. I'll let you know how he mounts them and how it sounds. These are 4 ohm, so they match the Alpines in my doors. Depending on how they are mounted, pictures to come.

If the 8.4 is like the MyGigs, they are 66w; 16.5w/channel. Presently, I can turn the volume all the way up with no distortion or clipping. So, I'm curious to see how these tweeters will sound. When I am by myself in the DJ, I run the volume around 20, but I have to turn the bass gain up or down depending on the song.

Edited by dhh3

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the tweeters today. The tech was afraid to cut a hole in the dash speaker grill, so that the tweeter would be visible. He thought that the grill might shatter, and he didn't want to risk it. So, he installed them under the dash, but he rotated them towards the interior of the car, rather than up towards the windshield. WOW. The highs are really crisp now. It's like a whole new system.

I found something odd today. The factory dash speakers are standard round speakers. The diameter of the frame is 3 3/8, slightly smaller than a 3.5. The speaker itself is 2 5/8. So, I find it hard to believe that no direct replacements are made for these. The tech @ Best Buy had to make his own mounting plate for the tweeters, because they were so much smaller than the factory speakers, diameter-wise. The odd ball mounting plate that came with the tweeters would not work. I took a shot of the factory speakers, for all to see before I trash them. They look like they were covered with some old blue jeans!

Factory%20Dash%20Speakers_zpsrv6wvjwq.jp

Edited by dhh3

Installed the tweeters today. The tech was afraid to cut a hole in the dash speaker grill, so that the tweeter would be visible. He thought that the grill might shatter, and he didn't want to risk it. So, he installed them under the dash, but he rotated them towards the interior of the car, rather than up towards the windshield. WOW. The highs are really crisp now. It's like a whole new system.

I found something odd today. The factory dash speakers are standard round speakers. The diameter of the frame is 3 3/8, slightly smaller than a 3.5. The speaker itself is 2 5/8. So, I find it hard to believe that no direct replacements are made for these. The tech @ Best Buy had to make his own mounting plate for the tweeters, because they were so much smaller than the factory speakers, diameter-wise. The odd ball mounting plate that came with the tweeters would not work. I took a shot of the factory speakers, for all to see before I trash them. They look like they were covered with some old blue jeans!

Those must be for country music! Now I know why Dwight Yoakum sounds so good in my DJ LOL.

Edited by rolly

It's not the shape that is the issue, but the mounting. Most tweeters are designed to mount differently than a factory tweeter. A lot of people end up gluing them in, at least your tech made an adapter...

The tech told me that there is absolutely NO room under the defroster panel (it is a separate piece from the rest of the top of the dash) for what was already there (factory speaker) on the driver's side and slightly more space on the passenger side. The Alpine tweeters are constructed like little cylinders. The only part above his bracket is what you see on the carton top. Sounding better with every song I hear. Great investment if someone wants to upgrade their dash speakers. Even he was surprised with the difference in the overall sound.

If anyone is interested, these tweeters come two different ways. The only difference between the two are the crossovers. One is inline, the one I purchased, because I was concerned about space and what was under the dash. The other one has a crossover that is a small box with 6 gain positions. The tech told me that these would not fit; I got lucky!

Edited by dhh3

I think that there are air bags behind there, if you are referring to the A pillar as a sail panel. Having the sound from the tweeters directed towards me, I can definitely hear them. Before, I would have to move my head closer to the windshield to even hear the dash speakers. Like I have said a few times before, this should be it, as far as sound goes!

OIC. Is it hollow, with just wires for the mirrors? I do not believe that the Alpines would not have fit there because of their depth. Please, do not give me any more ideas! I'm done with my audio! I think.............................

OIC. Is it hollow, with just wires for the mirrors? I do not believe that the Alpines would not have fit there because of their depth. Please, do not give me any more ideas! I'm done with my audio! I think.............................

They usually have very little in them besides 3 nuts (one at each corner) to hold the mirror, and the wiring, which is usually fastened to the door and out of the way. Most component tweeters are fairly shallow, so I am banking on them fitting.

The sail panel is a very common spot to mount tweeters to on vehicles...due to ease of access and plenty of space for them. The few systems I've had all have the tweeters in the sail panel.

That's why I usually mount them there... On a couple of occasions I've had to drill a hole in the door panel and mount them there, but still much easier and cleaner than a lot of the alternatives.

• 9 months later...

I just purchased a set of these to replace the dash speakers. The tweeter housings have threads to screw onto their base. They can be surface mounted, or reside below the dash grill. The base is slightly angled so they can be positioned to throw the sound in whatever direction is best. They come with an inline crossover, since the dash speakers are already full spectrum. In speaking with Crutchfield, there is no direct replacement made for the dash speakers, and I read on the forum that this is because of their shape. These tweeters also have an odd shaped mounting plate which may work, so they can be installed under the dash grills.

Just a heads up, the tweeters themselves are more like 2.5" but the mounting plate is actually a full sized 3.5" with two hole pattern. It fits standard 2.6" dash tweeters fine. I put Infinity Reference tweeters in myself which Crutchfield said wouldn't fit. Luckily I had found a Sosche speaker guide that showed the mounting depth. The only thing I had to worry about was the tweeter to grill depth but they ended up fitting with more than enough room as the super tweeters weren't above the speaker itself. They fit with plenty of room and the holes were a perfect match.

Regarding the pillars, the airbag is right above the headliner so the trim on the pillar can come off without worrying about it. I should've taken pictures for everyone's reference. After the pillar trim comes off its just a matter of prying the defroster/dash speaker trim up.

And yes, upgrading the dash speakers is a major upgrade as they really pull the sound stage to the front of the vehicle.

As a note, I used the crossover on my upgraded head unit so I didn't get one with an inline crossover. I believe I have it set to 80Hz cut off. The front doors will be affected but that doesn't matter since the rear 6x9's and future sub will fill that gap. The difference is nil to my ears with the exception of the dash speakers not trying to bottom out every once in a while now.

Edited by QuarterSwede