Projector Retrofit Started (finally)

Did you have issues getting the HID to work? I've heard Journeys have the same issues as LX cars. My Charger was still giving me problems even after getting error-eliminators and upgrading to CAN-BUS compliant ballasts. I'd always have one on the passenger side not turn on the first time on occasion.

I used the TRS Mopar low beam relay harness with a capacitor and made a harness of my own for the passenger side that has a a resistor to show a 55w load... both sides run off of the driver side plug through the relay harness and the capacitor shows a load in that side. Theoretically it should work like that for as long as the components last. The harnesses are high quality so I expect them to last a while. Seems to be working fine so far.

• 1 month later...

Kind wish I used a different projector. I have the mini h1 but I want to go bigger. Might possibly buy a new set and redo them with something bigger or buy the projector headlights for the dj

Your MH1 is going to be better then {Aftermarket projector headlights for the DJ}. The MH1 6.0 is a good projector but I do not like the H1 bulb seating issues. I had bulb seating issues with a MH1 5.0 retro and matchbox retro I did and now I personally only like the D2S bulb. So with that being said I did not want to use the Mh1 for my retrofit. I went with the MD2S with Apollo 2.0 shrouds. The projector fit good after doing a full retrofit by cutting the headlight bowls and mounting the projector. The issue is with a 2.5-3 inch shroud as it hits the headlight surround, but sinking the projector and cutting the surround the headlight can now close.

So It's all about firsts! We know Totemus had a Mh1 installed with a mini Gatling shroud so it's possible. I just Installed a MD2S so that's now possible. The shrouds are the same size for the bigger projectors just different shapes. So A larger projector like the FX-R 3.0 or the RX350 can be installed as there is room but only with a Apollo 2.0 shroud. Other shrouds can probably be used but just not until someone can confirm it with pictures, LOL. With that being said I'd stay away from the LS460 because that projector is monstrous, or you can prove me wrong and do it.

Lobitz68 might try to install a Apollo 2.0 shroud on his MH1 to fill the headlight bowl a bit more. It all depends on how much time you want to put into this hobby. Like I said it's all about firsts, like the first guy here that did his write up on how to install hid lights 3-4 years ago.

I did my first retro on a 2006 F150 back in 2010 with the FX-R 1.0 projectors. I was the first person to install an FX-R projector in a 04-08 F150 and document it. Since then It's amazing how people doing their own twists on things make it look better. Check out my how to: link and see how it changed from when I first did mine to how people are doing theirs it's pretty cool.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/432208-how-04-08-oem-headlights-fx-r-projector-hid-retrofit.html

So don't give up! If you want to change your projectors then change them down the road. I'm 90% done my retrofit with MD2S with Apollo 2.0 shrouds and I'm already thinking of changing out my projector to a RX350 with clear lens and my Apollo 2.0 shrouds and Osram CBI bulbs.

The projector doesn't seem too small, I would just get a bigger shroud. As Powerz69 stated, I am contemplating changing out my shroud. Mostly, just because I want it to be deeper, not necessarily larger in diameter. Although it will have to get larger in diameter to get a deeper one in there (due to what is available). Are there better projectors than the MH1? Sure there are, but the output on these things is far better than any aftermarket option and better than a lot of oem projectors. Add to that the ease of the install, and it is a winner for very little $. I see you asked about the fogs... throwing matchboxes in there?? I am seriously contemplating it at the moment.

Might not even go match box. Might just use the mini h1 and mock up a holder for it to fit in the existing mount. It's either the md2s or the fxr with Apollo l. Either way I'll be taking time and doing it. Is there picture of where it needed to be cut to fit the md2s Pictures would be great at this point!!!