Car Battery Prevetative Maintenance

As most of us know the DJ battery is tucked into the front driver's side fender. Even with all the plastic well coverings the battery is exposed to harsh environments and even more so where the snow flies in the winter. I've had my DJ for just less than a year, and the main battery hold down rod/nut had a layer of rust only after one winter.

My advice is just get in there are get that rod/nut off and coat with Anti Seize compound and/or water resistance grease. Any nut or bolt I take off that is exposed to the elements, anti-seize always goes on. While at it coat the battery posts with corrosion prevention spray. When the day comes that battery is dead approx. three to five years, it should be much easier to get out..

I didn't take the wheel off, just turned it full left, got the push pins out and inner fender shields. Used plenty of PB Blaster to get the nut off and it still put up a fight. The rod bent slightly from the heat generated & the rust present. It took a good 1/2 hr to get the nut off because of the tight confines & wanted the PB Blaster to work at the rust.

Cleaned the rod with a wire brush, applied anti-seize, ran the nut up & down to coat, coated with water resistance grease as well & reassembled, applied more water resistance grease around the top of the expose rod & nut.

This should be a must "to do" for any DJ owner who plans on keeping their vehicle for any length of time, especially in the snowy parts with road salt & sand.

Edited by StormGrayBlackTop13

good luck on your battery lasting 5 yrs. my 2011 went bad about 3 months ago (3rys total) and all my other dodge vec. batteries lasted about 3-4 yrs at the best. changed it out myself and i removed the front wheel, i believe in giving my self all the room to make it easier and sure am glad i did... good luck to all