SiriusXM NavTraffic CANADA

So when I purchased my brand new 2013 Journey in December 2013, one of the selling points that the Salesman pointed out was the fact that it came with this awesomely big radio / navigation unit built in, and to top it off it could tell you about traffic delays! Oh man, that was super awesome... So as time went on I began to rely on my Garmin navigation system with the NavTraffic service, I found myself not really listening to Toronto's 680 News on the way into work and back home as much any more... But then, all of a sudden, just before my first service, the NavTraffic disappeared, this is about the same time my GPS seemed to have reset its self for no apparent reason!?!

Unfortunately before I made it to my first service the NavTraffic came back, so there wasn't really anything to troubleshoot... There were no updates available for my GPS, so I went on my way with everything working just fine... But, about a month later the NavTraffic stopped working again and this time it didn't come back, so I booked an appointment with my Dealership (Cookstown in Mississauga)... A technician checked it out, and once again there were no updates, so I was told by the Service Advisor that this has happened to other customers in the past... The procedure is to contact Garmin and see if they can "send a signal" to reset it before they go ahead and order a replacement radio.

So I went on my way, got myself a beverage, parked in a parking lot and looked for the phone number for Garmin in my settings... nope... looking everywhere... I know it's here somewhere... I Google it on my phone... Apparently it's not Garmin that "sends the signal" it's SiriusXM... I honestly thought it was an FM Radio signal... So I know there's a contact number for SiriusXM on my radio, yup, there it was, so I call SiriusXM Canada...

"Sorry sir, NavTraffic is not available in your vehicle"... Huh? But it has been working perfectly ever since I got it back in December of last year I told the fellow on the phone... Apparently the service is only available in Ford and Mercedes vehicles, I was told that if I was getting the service I was "lucky"... Really, lucky, is that the technical term for it? But it was working, can I not pay for it to be turned back on? No, because it is currently in the "testing phase" here in Canada and is simply not available in anything other than Ford and Mercedes vehicles... I was both confused and frustrated, especially when he tried to push some home unit on me, I'm like no, I just want the NavTraffic back... Ugh! I asked when it finally does become available in other vehicles, can I purchase the NavTraffic on its own? NOPE, you apparently need to buy into a music plan, then add the NavTraffic on top of it!

I get back home and try calling SiriusXM Canada again, I get the same information from a different person... Then I remember that my friend who purchased a brand new Mercedes GLK just before I got my Journey had the same issue... Hold on, wasn't I told that it only works in Ford and Mercedes vehicles? So I found the solution, the exact same solution my friend found...

I contacted SiriusXM USA, explained the situation, and within 20 minutes I had a US account set up and NavTraffic working in my Journey once again!!! The only unfortunate thing, they did not recognize my one year free trial, so I lost the remainder of my free trial (which I was hoping to use as a credit towards the NavTraffic service)... Oh, but did you notice that with SiriusXM USA you can get the NavTraffic on its own, you don't need a music plan... Thank you SiriusXM USA!!!

In closing... I'm wondering how many others have gone through this same experience? Are Dealerships still using this as a "selling point"? Seemingly some Dealerships are not aware of this "testing phase", since I went to a couple Dealers on a whim (but were too busy to get me in) before booking the appointment at my Dealership, and they also suggested the update and if that didn't work, they would be replacing the radio... So how much time and effort is being wasted replacing radios when this will apparently not fix the issue? I copied the promotions guy at SiriusXM Canada to get his input on this, but there has been no reply... I'm kinda upset that SiriusXM Canada didn't recommend to me creating a US account and getting the service that way. That's what customer service is all about, making the customer happy, right?

Sorry for the rant, I hope this gets some healthy feedback from others here in Canada.

Cheers!

I live across the border from Detroit and I have gotten Nav/Traffic on occasion in Windsor. It doesn't work all the time though and shows Detroit traffic only. The next time I'm in Detroit I'll see if it works there.

Thanks... In one of the replies from SiriusXM Canada Customer Service I was told that receiving signals from both Canada and the USA would mess up the radio, it can only be one or the other... Then in another reply I'm told that I was likely receiving the free promotional signal from the USA... Ugh, really?

• 2 months later...

If you DON'T have an active Canadian account (either trial or paid), then you can just call SiriusXM USA to set up a new US account (you'll need a credit card).

If you DO have an active Canadian account (either trial or paid), you'll need to call them first to cancel your radio, just give them the ESN (found on channel 0), then you can contact SiriusXM USA.

Yup, I was still in my trial period, I lost the remainder of my trial period since the USA does not recognize the Canadian trial period, and you can't have both accounts active.

When the Navtraffic does finally come to Canada, I was told that you can NOT get it on its own, you must have a radio service, then have the Navtraffic as an add on!?!

I honestly had no interest in the radio service, just Navtraffic. But, if you want to continue having radio service, the USA can hook you up with that too.

• 1 month later...

I got my Journey RT/ Ralley edition from the same dealership (Cooksville Dodge). I had the same problem and I just signed up with SiriusXM USA as well - Traffic is working just fine now.

I also took the Travel Link package in hopes that this would "unlock" this feature in our Canadian version of the UCONNECT software. Apparently this is not the case. If anyone has figured out how to enable the Travel Link tools in the Canadian version of UCONNECT, please let me know.

Thanks!

G.

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys,

I do not know how your Nav travel link works. I spoke to SiriusXM USA and they did not allow me to set up an account rather transfer me to SiriusXM CAnada.. however SiriusXM canada told me that the SiriusXM Traffic services in canada is not yet available until next year.

Do you mind show us a screen shot of your SiriusXM Traffic.

Thank

Eric

Hi Eric,

You might need a US address to set up a US account, I used my address in Buffalo that I have items shipped to (for those that don't ship to Canada). I'm not sure why they need it since all communication is done by email. So that might be the issue?

It still boggles my mind that Canada can't offer it when it clearly works. I can take a picture and post it tomorrow. I'll take it by my work at Pearson Airport so you'll see that I'm in Canada.

I have Nav traffic on mine I think. Does Nav traffic have something to do with the cars in your picture? Or it will tell you if a delay is on your route and give a delay time?

If so I bought my DD in May 2014, and Nav traffic just started to work 2 months ago on it's own. I'm on the 1 year free trial still.

Also how did you make your map so big on your screen? I cannot figure how to make my map bigger, or if breadcrumbs can be shown.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Powerz69,

If you take a look at my photo in the post above yours, in the top left corner you'll see a green circle with a couple cars in it, that icon (or a yellow or red one) means that your NavTraffic is working. You'll be able to click on that icon and see the various delay (if any) information.

It's weird for sure, it will work then stop working if you have the Canadian service, if you have USA service it just works all the time... I honestly don't know why the two can't just get together and play nice and have it work for everyone.

The plus ( + ) and negative ( - ) icons in the top right corner adjust the zoom level of the map. I believe you can see the breadcrumb trail, I don't have mine enabled any more, but it was before, so I could see the Journey that my Journey had made to the Dealership. There's all kinds of settings, so you can adjust things just how you like them.

• 1 year later...

I called Siriusxm usa to subscribed both the traffic and travel link. However only the Traffic works. I guess the Canadian Journey does not have the Travel Link enabled. I heard you could ask the dealership to flash the radio so it became US version. But I don't see a confirmation on that.

It would be great if the Travel Link works (enabled) for Canadian Journeys with the American subscription. I will be cancelling the travel link and keeping Traffic for now.

Off topic: I noticed My Trend and Avoidance are not working for some reason. It used to automatically populate the info by itself. During navigation I specifically checked "no u-turns" and now that selection has been ignored. Not sure how to reset it for it to work again.

There is no 'US version' of the radio firmware - they only have a NAFTA version that covers both Canada and the US. Access to Travellink is only enabled if the BCM identifies the vehicle as a US product.

Good luck figuring out how to do that without replacing the module, which is both expensive and becomes a service issue in the event of problems down the road.

If you reflash the navigator section it will reset all of the parameters to their defaults - that may be something you might want to try.

What follows is only for owners of the 2013+ nav radios:

2013+ Nav radios have stylised arrows for the 'where to' and 'show map' icons. if you haven't done so, you should update your radio and NAV to the most recent releases, available for download from the uConnect web site.

You do NOT need to have the recall performed to do what the recall delivers since all they will do is to update the firmware if it is not already updated. And by NOT executing the recall, your warranty for the radio is essentially extended . . . . so if you bring your vehicle in tell them specifically that you do NOT want them to do the R65 recall. That way if it does eventually die you would be able to bring in it at that point and they'd do their thing, which includes replacing the radio ONCE (and once only) as a remedy.

How do you know whether your radio has the latest firmware? Check the 'splash' screen for the nav as it starts - if it says CTP16 (and/or 6.22) then that is the latest - note that if it doesn't, you need to download the files for the radio AND for the navigator and to update the radio software before doing the navigator.

Again, this is ONLY for the 2013+ RB5 radios.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...

I called Siriusxm usa to subscribed both the traffic and travel link. However only the Traffic works. I guess the Canadian Journey does not have the Travel Link enabled. I heard you could ask the dealership to flash the radio so it became US version. But I don't see a confirmation on that.

It would be great if the Travel Link works (enabled) for Canadian Journeys with the American subscription. I will be cancelling the travel link and keeping Traffic for now.

Off topic: I noticed My Trend and Avoidance are not working for some reason. It used to automatically populate the info by itself. During navigation I specifically checked "no u-turns" and now that selection has been ignored. Not sure how to reset it for it to work again.

I'm considering signing up for Sirius Traffic once my 1 year trial ends. Did you have to provide a US address or use a US credit card?

• 3 weeks later...