Prodigy Brake Controller Install...Questions and Answers

davea180

Now I am desperate with this install. I really am not sure how to supply a brake switch feed to the red wire of the Prodigy. I have seen others post how they installed the controller, but never said HOW they accomplished this. Can anyone help me????

I tried following a post by harryj in 2013 where he said this:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

here some info on wiring 2011 ,i have 2013 planing to do instalation tekonsha P3 but quite shur that you can not hook up to the switch directly, i have not yet did any test yet , But from what i see that you found at the switch ,well i think that look like wire that we need is there on info sheet i have post and link , ... BUT i am verry good at this and i think that the right wire to do this might be at the end of the origenal wire harness dodge or any adapter requiered for trailer , at the end ther is 2 or 3 relays one of them must be for braking light you must only hook up at the end of relay not at the end of the 4 wire plug would be pin #85 or 86 and I would use a second relay there to do the switching of 12volt for the brake controle ,just to be safe , here what i have found or go to http://www.commandoc...andura/629.html

Dodge Journey 2011- IAM planing to do this on my journey some time this week . So i will have the Right spot and Information for this ..!

PART COLOR LOCATION 12 VOLT CONSTANT RED (+) @ BCM, LT.GRAY 4-PIN PLUG(C2), PIN 3, SEE NOTE #2 STARTER LT.BLUE/TAN (+) for STARTER KILL ONLY!! @ BCM, BLACK 24-PIN PLUG(C1), PIN 19, SEE NOTE #2 STARTER 2 PURPLE/LT.BLUE (?) @ KEYLESS IGNITION NODE (START/STOP Button) BLACK 6-PIN PLUG, PIN 4 IGNITION 1 PINK/WHITE (+) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C5), PIN 27, SEE NOTE #2 IGNITION 2 N/A IGNITION 3 N/A ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 N/A ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A KEYSENSE N/A PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) EHITE/BROWN (-) THRU a 1130 Ohm resistor, use a Relay to ISOLATE Switch @ BCM, BLUE 24-PIN PLUG(C7), PIN 20, SEE NOTE #2 PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) SEE NOTE #3 @ BCM, SEE NOTE #2 POWER LOCK PURLE/LT. GREEN (-) THRU a 330 Ohm Resistor will LOCK @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C6), PIN 23 (without One-Touch up Windows) SEE NOTE #2 POWER UNLOCK using same wire, a (-) THRU a 100 Ohm Resistor will UNLOCK DIAGRAM DOOR TRIGGER PURPLE (-) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C6), PIN 25, SEE NOTE #2 DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION YELLOW/PURPLE (+) @ BCM, BLUE 24-PIN PLUG(C7), PIN 14 SEE NOTE #2 TRUNK RELEASE N/A SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A HORN DK.GREEN/WHITE (+) @ BCM, BLACK 24-PIN PLUG(C1), PIN 23, SEE NOTE #2 TACH BROWN/YELLOW, BROWN/DK.BLUE, BROWN/LT.BLUE, BROWN/TAN, BROWN/ORANGE or BROWN/PURPLE (AC) @ Any FUEL-INJECTOR, 2-PIN PLUG, PIN 2 WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A BRAKE DK.GREEN/WHITE (+) @ BCM, WHITE 24-PIN PLUG(C4), PIN 18, SEE NOTE #2 FACTORY ALARM DISARM N/A ANTI-THEFT NO INFORMATION AT THIS TIME!! See NOTE #1

EXTRA INFORMATION NOTE #1: There is NO INFORMATION on the ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM or an INTERFACE BYPASS MODULE for this vehicle AT THIS TIME!! NOTE #2: The BCM is located Behind the GLOVE BOX. NOTE #3: The LEFT FRONT Parkinglight wire is a WHITE/BROWN (+) @ BCM, BLACK 24-PIN PLUG(C1) PIN 4, the RIGHT FRONT Parking light wire is a WHITE/ORANGE (+) @ BCM, WHITE 24-PIN PLUG(C4) PIN 3, the LEFT REAR Parking light wire is a WHITE/GRAY (+) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C6) PIN 32 and the RIGHT REAR Parking light wire is a WHITE/ORANGE (+) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C5) PIN 4, when connecting use a

Edited by harry.j, 12 May 2013 - 05:05 AM.

I found the Dark Green/White wire in the connector behind the glove box. While the brake pedal is depressed there is 13.38 volts present. Brake pedal in the resting position gives me .20 volts. Is this it? I don't know and I don't know who I can ask. I'm sure the Dodge dealer probably can't help me. Are there any 12 volt electrical geniuses that can tell me if I could use a relay to power the red brake signal wire. Will a relay attempt to energize at a voltage of .20?

I will accept any suggestions here. I am towing a popup at almost 2k lbs. and it is so much easier to stop with trailer brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

All-

I have figured it out and have my Prodigy brake controller installed. I used the Dk Green/White wire referenced above in the quote by harryj. I used a relay with a diode to prevent a voltage surge and it works perfectly with my Jayco popup. I just got home from my maiden voyage test drive and aside from some brake adjustments all is good.

I did take some photos, if there is enough interest I can do a brief writeup.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Prodigy install I did in my DJ:

Remove glovebox and locate the BCM up and to the right. The sides pinch inwards and the re-tractor disconnects.

Glovebox removed

This is the relay I used. Wired as follows: Dk Green/White jumper to #86, 85 to ground. #30 is 12v from a supply. I spliced into the 12v used to supply the controller. #87 goes to the red wire of the controller. It has a diode on 86 to prevent a voltage surge when the brake pedal is released. No voltage is allowed to feed back into the Can bus.

12v relay with 85 neg. ground and a diode on the positive

This is the Dark Green/White wire. I stripped it and soldered a jumper for the relay (#86). It plugs into the white body control module seen in the background. It plugs into the upper right with a strange type of locking mechanism. It is self-explanatory when you see it and move the lever.

View of the dark green/white wire that supplies 12v, the plug is removed from the BCM

Here is the relay wired in and mounted to the wire loom. At the bottom of the frame you will see I wired in a SP/ST switch. This is to deactivate the brake signal wire when I am not using the controller. I learned this from another vehicle that the relay gives off a clicking sound when the brakes are applied. I can tolerate it when towing, but not always. I drilled a hole in the back wall of the glove box and mounted it there.

Relay wired in with a DP/ST switch

Here is the Prodigy mounted. The area to the left and above the airbag is solid plastic.

Prodigy mounted

Edited by davea180

Thank you those photos helped a lot. I had hooked up my brake controller for my 2014 DJ with LED lights to the third brake light in the body controller WT/DG wire, but had not considered the relay till I read your article. All of your info and photos helped a lot. keep helping Journey owners.

thanks

• 7 years later...

Any chance you can show the picture of how and where you spliced in the diode and what size? Also, in the diagram I attached below, to which green wire did you splice into? There appears to be three...

On 7/19/2014 at 6:50 PM, davea180 said:

Here is the Prodigy install I did in my DJ:

Remove glovebox and locate the BCM up and to the right. The sides pinch inwards and the re-tractor disconnects.

Glovebox removed

This is the relay I used. Wired as follows: Dk Green/White jumper to #86, 85 to ground. #30 is 12v from a supply. I spliced into the 12v used to supply the controller. #87 goes to the red wire of the controller. It has a diode on 86 to prevent a voltage surge when the brake pedal is released. No voltage is allowed to feed back into the Can bus.

12v relay with 85 neg. ground and a diode on the positive

This is the Dark Green/White wire. I stripped it and soldered a jumper for the relay (#86). It plugs into the white body control module seen in the background. It plugs into the upper right with a strange type of locking mechanism. It is self-explanatory when you see it and move the lever.

View of the dark green/white wire that supplies 12v, the plug is removed from the BCM

Here is the relay wired in and mounted to the wire loom. At the bottom of the frame you will see I wired in a SP/ST switch. This is to deactivate the brake signal wire when I am not using the controller. I learned this from another vehicle that the relay gives off a clicking sound when the brakes are applied. I can tolerate it when towing, but not always. I drilled a hole in the back wall of the glove box and mounted it there.

Relay wired in with a DP/ST switch

Here is the Prodigy mounted. The area to the left and above the airbag is solid plastic.

Prodigy mounted

2013 Dodge Journey.PNG

Edited by journey13