hitch available for the DJ ?

Ric04SiR

I'm buying a tent-trailer soon and obviously I will need a hitch for my DJ. I know a lot of people talk about the Curt but I would like to have some suggestion if there's people here using other brand. I would realy like to have one that doesn't go to low, the more it's hidden the better. If you have picture of your hitch on your DJ it would be great

This is the OEM Mopar hitch. The left side of the draw bar had a bracket which hung down to accomodate a seven way plug. I use a four way flat, and the bracket is ugly so we whizzed it off in my shop and painted over the welds.

journey33_zpsd5e2e3a2.jpg

OP...this is no different from my Curt brand

IMG_20140326_1537482_zpsc2e8f66d.jpg

tell me something why do the hitch stick out so bad on teh journey, im going to be putting one on mine so i can use a bike rack in it, but im a bit put off by the way it looks on a journey, is there a hitch out there that does not stick out so much, or ar ethey all the same, its not very hidden dont you think ?

this is not a go at your hitch, im just stateing in general thats all :)

It has to clear the spare tire which is immediately behind the bumper fascia. I don't like the way it looks, either - the rear fascia is clean and sporty without it. The hitch robs the sporty look of the dual exhaust - you almost don't notice it because of the hitch. We tow a pop-up camper with ours so it was a necessity. The Curt hitch is a bit less angular but it still protrudes. I wish it were somehow integrated into the rear fascia like the Grand Cherokee and Durango.

I use Photobucket to store pictures that I post here on the forum. In my Photobucket library, there are four buttons under each thumbnail. I right click on the button that says "direct" under the picture I want to post, then copy the URL in the button, then navigate back to this reply window. In the toolbar which appears above these words when you reply, there is an "image" icon. Click on that, and a window opens. Paste the URL in the window and hit post. Enjoy!

Edited by Journeyman425

I believe that photo references the 2009-2010 model which uses a different rear fascia.

i have just checked the opar website and they list the same hitch for the 09-14 doe anyone know if the rear facis is that much different between 10 and 11, because i do like the look of that

ok so tell me has anyone installed a mopar hitch that looks like this? because it looks so much more tidy

attachicon.gif!cid_image003_jpg@01CF6618.jpg

I believe that this picture references the "old style" hitch. The original hitch for the DJ had a vertical receiver, most hitches and the ones currently offered for the DJ, even by MOPAR, is the standard horizontal receiver design. In the original (and the one that I like best) the receiver was vertical; the square part actually went up behind the fascia and didn't stick out at all. The problem, of course, is that most hitch accessories are not designed for that arrangement. If you closely at the picture, you can see the square shaft on the end of the trailer hitch pointing upwards behind the fascia. Made for a much cleaner looking unit when the hitch was removed (nothing stuck out to hit your shin), but, necessitated having a right angle adapter in order to use anything beside the MOPAR ball hitch. Remember a couple of years ago when everybody was up in arms because MOPAR didn't have any hitches? They were in the midst of changing the design... Now we have the standard design (horizontal receiver) and it has to stick out looking ugly and shin damaging so that bicycle carriers can clear the fat bumper.

I believe that this picture references the "old style" hitch. The original hitch for the DJ had a vertical receiver, most hitches and the ones currently offered for the DJ, even by MOPAR, is the standard horizontal receiver design. In the original (and the one that I like best) the receiver was vertical; the square part actually went up behind the fascia and didn't stick out at all. The problem, of course, is that most hitch accessories are not designed for that arrangement. If you closely at the picture, you can see the square shaft on the end of the trailer hitch pointing upwards behind the fascia. Made for a much cleaner looking unit when the hitch was removed (nothing stuck out to hit your shin), but, necessitated having a right angle adapter in order to use anything beside the MOPAR ball hitch. Remember a couple of years ago when everybody was up in arms because MOPAR didn't have any hitches? They were in the midst of changing the design... Now we have the standard design (horizontal receiver) and it has to stick out looking ugly and shin damaging so that bicycle carriers can clear the fat bumper.

This is why I went for the Curt...you can see my avatar with the bicycle clearing the bumper

ok so tell me has anyone installed a mopar hitch that looks like this? because it looks so much more tidy

As was mentioned earlier both the 2009 and 2010 and early 2011 have a slightly different rear. Personally I have the OEM hitch on my 2010 R/T that looks like the one in your Photo. Personally I am very happy with it, Up to that time I had never seen a vertical receiver, but it seems to work well, granted I have only towed my 18' boat and my kayak trailer. I can take photos of it when I get home tonight if you wish.

When the actual hitch is removed my car looks like it has no hitch at all, when it is installed personally IMO it looks much better than the newer ones. Just my opinion ....... obviously others will differ.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

As was mentioned earlier both the 2009 and 2010 and early 2011 have a slightly different rear. Personally I have the OEM hitch on my 2010 R/T that looks like the one in your Photo. Personally I am very happy with it, Up to that time I had never seen a vertical receiver, but it seems to work well, granted I have only towed my 18' boat and my kayak trailer. I can take photos of it when I get home tonight if you wish.

When the actual hitch is removed my car looks like it has no hitch at all, when it is installed personally IMO it looks much better than the newer ones. Just my opinion ....... obviously others will differ.

Terry

hi terry

please send picture would like to see

Paul

Ok so i have tried all of my suppliers in my area and i cant locate part # 82210403AB which is the vertical hitch, they all want to sell me the horizontal hitch, which has superseeded it, does anyone know or can put me in touch with a supplier in their area so i can get one shipped to me.

i really do not want the Horizontal style hitch if i can help it.

Thanks

Paul