Does Dodge Use a Standard Remote Start

When I bought my DJ I sat down with the accessories guy and went through everything I could add on. I ended up getting the molded cargo tray and a 3000' 2-way remote start, both of which are just getting installed now (6+ weeks later). Does anyone know if this is a standard remote start used at all dealers or if each dealership has their own catalog of accessories? I'm assuming it has its own key fob as it is a 2-way and I know that the range is significantly more than the factory integrated MOPAR remote start... Does anyone else have this installed on theirs? I'm assuming I'll get the DJ back today, so I can provide more info about the remote at that time...just curious what others have and if anyone knows how aftermarket accessories work at dealers. I was unable to find any info online about any remote start other than the factory integrated MOPAR one. Thanks!

We had remote start installed by the dealer when we purchased our DJ. They used the factory remote start that included replacement fobs with the remote start button on them. They were able to set it up so that the old non-remote-start fobs would work as well as the new ones included with the kit. Not sure if that answers your question or not.

It may very well be that the picture they showed in the digital catalog was not the actual remote start that was being installed but just a representative picture... Is the factory remote start a 2-way (meaning it provides feedback to you that the vehicle has actually started)?

Not sure if the Journey is the same, as mine has the factory remote start, but I installed an Expresskit on my Town and Country. It was fairly simple and I was able to keep my old key fobs. You press the lock button on the fob 3 times to activate the remote start. I was a little hesitant of aftermarket options but I saw a video on Youtube that explained it very well, and so far its worked flawlessly.

Good luck with your mods...

Not sure if the Journey is the same, as mine has the factory remote start, but I installed an Expresskit on my Town and Country. It was fairly simple and I was able to keep my old key fobs. You press the lock button on the fob 3 times to activate the remote start. I was a little hesitant of aftermarket options but I saw a video on Youtube that explained it very well, and so far its worked flawlessly.

Good luck with your mods...

I guess that's just it, I'm not sure if what I'm getting is the factory remote start... there were 3 different options when I talked to the accessories guy. The basic one, one that was a 2-way with extended range (3000') and one that was a 2-way, used an app on your phone and could be used from the other side of the world if I wanted... I chose the middle option. The dealer is installing it and it is covered under the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, so I'm not worried, just curious if anyone knows if it is a MOPAR remote starter or something else...

On a side note, if anyone has had the dealer install a remote starter on their vehicle, how long did it take? I'm closing in on the end of day 2 here and wondering what the hell is taking so long...

Edited by Lobitz68

It should only take a couple hours whether its OEM or aftermarket. I got an aftermarket one installed in my Journey using the OEM keyfob and it only took 2 hours.

That's what all my research is telling me too... Waiting for a call from the service adviser. Ought to be an interesting conversation... I'm sick of driving this POS Cruze around...

It may very well be that the picture they showed in the digital catalog was not the actual remote start that was being installed but just a representative picture... Is the factory remote start a 2-way (meaning it provides feedback to you that the vehicle has actually started)?

The factory remote start is not 2-way. AFAIK, the only option for the DJ from Mopar is 1-way (some other Dodge models I've seen have 2-way factory remote start options). Sounds like you're getting an aftermarket remote start kit.

I have an after market remote start on my 2011. It is Astro Start and has available start from your phone, Only problem is the app is free but module costs $249. I don't need it that bad.

Install should only take few hours if competent installer.

Yes, it is aftermarket (CompuStar), but was purchased from and installed by Dodge at the time of purchase. Turns out the thing was done the day I dropped it off. "My" service adviser was off that day and the guy filling in was apparently new. By the time they got back to me the next day I wouldn't have arrived until after close, so I grabbed it Saturday AM.