22 Month Update

claude9039u

Hello all UPDATE!

Nothing has changed about the way I feel for the cars as posted in my 3 month update. If I was not upside down in the car I still would get rid of it. Anyway last night after 83000 miles and ownership for only 22 months the Journey left my wife stranded on the highway. The car overheated blowing smoke all over the place, she got it off the highway and by the time I got there radiator fluid was all over the ground. It would not start when I got there, checked but could not find a broken hose, but a look at the oil showed it way over filled and light brown! Looks like water in the engineand the back hatch window was covered in water downed oil! Called Chrysler and they came and picked her up, so it’s at the dealer now.

Thank god for 5 year and 100,000 mile factory warranty and with the extended warranty I bought, I hope to walk away just paying for the $100 deductible for this piece of junk! Now to deal with the dealership bull. I will update if anyone that wants to know?

Ok got the car back. I am being told that the following took place. The rear AC/Heat controls has a plastic y type connector for the radiator hose. It developed a small crack, which caused air to get into the system, which caused pressure in the over fill tank to push the radiator fluid out and on the headers. This cause the steam my wife saw that scared her into pulling off the highway. The car would not start because there is a sensor that looks for water and it if it does not see it and will not let the car start. Anyway, the oil looked like it had water in it because it had thinned out do to the heat.

Under warranty, they replace the hose and connector. I had to pay for a flush $120 and of course oil change $29.00. That is the story I got.

I have never heard of nor could I find a sensor that will not let the car start if there is no water? I I do not believe what they said eve though the car seems to be fine. Once I got the car, I took it to where I get all my aftermarket work done on the SRT8 and they put on a star scan that showed misfires on all cylinders in the history. It was happening because the car was overheating, my question is what other damage from the heat is there or how much life was taken from the car do to the heat?

Either way does not change a thing about how I feel for this car, if I was not upside down I would get rid of the car.

11-14 Well finaly got rid of this thing last night. After 4 sets of brakes 3 sets of rotors, 3 sets of tires and a hell of alot of oil cause this thing at around 50,000 started burning oil, and the warrenty being over 101,00 miles all the above issues she is gone.

Since I am a Chrylser man and nothing but chrylser is permitted in my house, being so upside down on this car and the need for a SUV AWD. I had no choice but to get back into another Journey lol. Got a 2015 Crossroad fully loaded. LOL.

Edited by claude9039u

Sucks you ended up with the 2010... I read your other post and think you would have been much happier with the 2011+. Everything you mentioned as a problem is a strong spot on my 2014. Good luck with the fix. If you have a competent dealer it shouldn't be an issue.

The car would not start because there is a sensor that looks for water and it if it does not see it and will not let the car start. Anyway, the oil looked like it had water in it because it had thinned out do to the heat.

Under warranty, they replace the hose and connector. I had to pay for a flush $120 and of course oil change $29.00. That is the story I got.

I have never heard of nor could I find a sensor that will not let the car start if there is no water?

There is an engine coolant temp sensor -there are two, actually, on your 3.5. I reviewed ECT diagnostics and cannot find anything to support a no-start due to ECT input.

Sucks you ended up with the 2010... I read your other post and think you would have been much happier with the 2011+. Everything you mentioned as a problem is a strong spot on my 2014. Good luck with the fix. If you have a competent dealer it shouldn't be an issue.

Ehhh... I don't know. I loved my 2010. I can't stand my 2011. His complaints are valid though. Even the 3.5L wasn't great for that car, which is why I can never understand how people deal with the 2.4L (I am almost positive its only an option to skew MPG numbers on commercials). My 2011 is a total lemon though, spent 2/3s of its life in the shop. The 3.6 is a better engine though.

OP, man, you're like me and will probably end replacing that thing soon anyways. Look forward to the future is my advice. I'm replacing mine with the new Cherokee with the 3.2L (you can look for my lemon post in this same owners impressions section).

• 7 months later...