Brief Burning Wire Smell

Journey_SeXT

Tonight I went to get gas for the Journey and on my way back home for a brief second or two I smelt something burning like an electrical wire through the vent. Talked to my wife about it and she said she had smelt it earlier on her way back home from work. It is very brief but still worrisome. Anyone else ever get this?

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Tonight I went to get gas for the Journey and on my way back home for a brief second or two I smelt something burning like an electrical wire through the vent. Talked to my wife about it and she said she had smelt it earlier on her way back home from work. It is very brief but still worrisome. Anyone else ever get this?

Did you find out what it was?

There is no leaks or loss of fluid and the engine looks dry. Also the wife hasn't smelled it since I posted this thread. I don't want take it just yet to the dealer until something goes or burns out as it will be a $150.00 donation just to have them say they couldn't find anything or can't recreate the issue. The thread was to see if anyone else may have experienced it too and since Journeyman425 has not seen any with the same issue I guess I'm alone :shrug:. I'm thinking maybe something to do with the blower motor since it happened shortly after I changed the air speed instead of the volume......still trying to adjust to all the control buttons on this vehicle.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Just keep an eye (and nose) on it for now. Sometimes a stray piece of plastic on the road, like from a bag, will become attached to a hot exhaust pipe and will begin to melt as it heats up. Usually the odor from this type of scenario will be more pronounced and prolonged, but it is something to consider as a possibility.

I just had a similar experience with my Journey. Took it in for service and a couple days later my wife complained about a burning plastic smell. I don't drive the car but I decided to bring it to work one day (I work in a body shop) so I could throw it on a lift. The smell was overwhelming with the windows down. I put it in the air and discovered plastic all over the exhaust (right before the cat). Apparently my wife hit a plastic bag and it melted to the pipe,causing a nasty plastic smell. Not sure if that's what is going on but it's probably worth it to check underneath the car.

The smell is not overwhelming but the same smell when an electrical wire burns and very brief then it's gone. So far it hasn't happened since the day I posted it so I am crossing my fingers that it will be the last time I experience it.

Edited by Journey_SeXT