2014 Journey V6 oil volume

TXcajun

Just completed the first oil change on the 2014 Journey Limited V6. Checked the dipstick prior to starting and the level was a tad bit higher then the top safe line. Didn't think anything of it. (yes, the engine was hot)

Change the oil and filter and filled it up with 6 qts of 5W-20. Manual says to use this and states it takes 6 qts.

Check the level on the dipstick and it was right at the BOTTOM line of the safe mark. I thought some of the oil hadn't made its way down to the pan yet and proceded to start the car. Ran fine. Pressure was high, then came down. Let car run for a few minutes.

Check dipstick again after shutoff. Same level. Right at bottom. Added a 1/2 quart MORE and level came up to middle of range. Thats 6.5 total!!!

Waited about 20 minutes with engine off and check level again. It rose a tad to just below the top safe mark...

I was curious, so I measured the used oil I took out. (yes, catch can was empty prior to oil change). I drained a total of 7.2 qts. I am estimating the .2 part, but it filled up the 5 qt jug and two more qt bottles.

Anyone else have this??? 7 qts of oil seems like alot for a V6. I am discardng the .2 as I stated, the level was a tad high prior to changing. So, 7 qts fills it up to the top of the safe mark.

I have a buddy at the dealership and will talk to him tomorrow to see, but just seeing if anyone else had this.

Update.. let car cool down for hour. Oil level was way above top line. Ran car for about 15 minutes, shut off, checked level. Level was dead in the middle of safe zone. Called some car buddies and they say the hot reading is the most important. As long as the oil level is in the safe zone when engine is hot, doesn't matter what the cold reading says.

Still can't believe it took 7qts though.

Ran a quick check on TechConnect ( I work for a dealer) to see if there have been any capacity changes. None that I see. I know the oil filter housing and filter element were changed for 2014 and are NOT interchangeable with earlier years, but the overall oil capacity remains at six quarts.

I wonder if it was overfilled at delivery?

Very important that the oil filter housing cap is removed prior to removing the oil drain plug. This allows the oil to drain from the OFH. I have changed the oil twice on my Journey so far, Both times it took six quarts and read full, but in between the first and second service I had to add 1/2 quart. I attributed that to break-in as I have driven 4800 miles since the last service and it is still full. I use 5W-20 synthetic oil now. The first time I used conventional oil.

Check out this graphic and you will see why it takes a long time for all the oil to flow back into the pan!

09 - Engine, 3.6L/Lubrication/Operation OPERATION
GUID-09-013-000-2825793.jpg

The oil from the oil pan is pumped by a vane type oil pump mounted to the bottom of the cylinder block that is chain driven by the crankshaft sprocket. The oil from the pump travels to the oil filter element and then to the oil cooler assembly. After the oil has been filtered and cooled, the oil enters the main oil gallery. The pressurized oil travels through the main gallery to the four main journals to lubricate the crankshaft main bearings. The pressurized oil travels through the crankshaft main journals to cross-drilling supplying oil to the connecting rod journals. From the number one main bearing gallery, oil travels to the right secondary chain tensioner and to the primary chain idler shaft. The main oil gallery also supplies oil to three sets of piston oil cooling jets. From the cylinder block the oil flows through drillings into the left and right cylinder heads. Left cylinder head oil is supplied to the left secondary timing chain tensioner, camshaft journals and hydraulic lash adjusters. Right cylinder hear oil is supplied to the right camshaft journals and hydraulic lash adjusters. The camshaft valve lobes and rocker arms are lubricated through a small hole in the rocker arm; oil flows through the lash adjuster then through the rocker arm and onto the camshaft lobe. Oil also flows through each of the four forward camshaft bearings into the camshafts and phasers.

Engine Lubrication Flow Chart

FROM

TO

Oil Pickup Tube

Oil Pump

Oil Pump

Oil Filter

Oil Filter

Oil Cooler

Oil Cooler

Block Main Oil Gallery

Block Main Oil Gallery

1. Crankshaft Main Journals

2. Left Cylinder Head

3. Right Cylinder Head

4. Piston Cooling Jets

Crankshaft Number One Main Journal

1. Primary Chain Idler Shaft

2. Right Secondary Chain Tensioner

3. Oil Pump Feedback

Crankshaft Main Journals

Crankshaft Rod Journals

Left Cylinder Head

1. Left Secondary Chain Tensioner

2. Hydraulic Lash Adjusters

3. Camshaft Journals

4. Phaser Oil Control Valves

Right Cylinder Head

1. Hydraulic Lash Adjusters

2. Camshaft Journals

3. Phaser Oil Control Valves

Hydraulic Lash Adjusters

1. Rocker Arms

2. Cam Lobes

Edited by Journeyman425

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so what oil filter and where is it on the 2014 v-6? I'll assume the factory is using conventional oil for break-in. My first dump will be @ 2000 miles I usually do with new cars, using conventional.....then at 5000 and every 5k with full syn.. I was hoping to have a bottom side access filter. ??

OK, Open your hood, see that huge plastic cover on the engine? On the left rear is a removable cap that says "remove for oil filter service", under this is the oil filter. It is an internal oil filter and only certain auto parts stores carry them (O'reillys for me and it's @$10) i.e. you cant get it at walmart. Not sure what socket size you need, but you just unscrew the filter from the engine using a socket and extension. Unfortunately you still have to get underneath to drain the oil.

Edited by jkeaton

Ok so what oil filter and where is it on the 2014 v-6? I'll assume the factory is using conventional oil for break-in. My first dump will be @ 2000 miles I usually do with new cars, using conventional.....then at 5000 and every 5k with full syn.. I was hoping to have a bottom side access filter. ??

Oil change instructions for Pentastar engines is here in this linik and shows the oil filter: http://wk2jeeps.com/engine/3.6L_oil_and_filter_change.pdf

Not sure what socket size you need, but you just unscrew the filter from the engine using a socket and extension. Unfortunately you still have to get underneath to drain the oil.

15/16" socket is required and the engine cover pops off and goes back in pretty easy so you don't need the extension.

Edited by Journey_SeXT