AWD Noises

Robu

So this is a little Odd (I'm waiting for my dealership to you know.. email me back.. such a concept) I get a weird noise from various axels on the journey that sound very similar to ABS kicking in during traction gains. However it seems to be a little more gear grinding in terms of sound than the ABS would.

This was first noticed about a week ago when Winnipeg got its first major snow storm, I thought it could of just been tires peeling on pavement. I was able to rule it out when I was testing it on a road that was essentially a solid sheet of ice. Same thing, front wheels try to lock in AWD seems to kick in with a bit of a grind than off I go. The other night I was coming back from dropping a friend off and trying to climb a bridge at which point it did the same thing as I described in the previous sentence but than.. Service AWD Came on and I was down to Front wheel drive only (and may I add, this vehicle handles incredibly terrible in snow with FWD and the Solus tires.. moving on) after I got home I let it sit for a few hours and the Service AWD light went off.

After some reading here I brought it to the dealership to get Oil/Filter and air filter changes and as a precaution tires rotated (I'm just shy of 15,000km and this was the first rotation.. All tires are 9/32). The gear slippage noise seems to continue, I haven't had the Service AWD light come back on granted I haven't hit any where yet to really safely test it.

I do have the mild clunk (not so much when going from park to reverse or reverse to drive but say when in second and letting the foot off the gas and than re-applying lightly.. both make the noise)

Curious if anyone has any idea's as to the potential issue (or non issue?) while I wait on the dealership

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having same issue. First dusting of snow there was clunking and what sounded like walnuts in the wheels. A couple weeks back i took it in with the service awd light on. They coded it and said the module lost configuration. Happened again Thursday and this time wheel bearings and some controller need to be replaced. There is only 5600km on the tranny so not thinking too highly on it right now - it is a 2013 Journey r/t. Hopefully this fixes things up.