Trailer tow package price for 2014

rolly

I just noticed that the trailer tow package has gone up from $225.00 to $375.00 on the 2014's. I think that's a little much for what you get. I also noticed that you can't get the touring suspension on the SXT according to website. This is in Canada.

Edited by rolly

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did finally found the tow package option and the price is $145 US. For only $145 it's hard to believe that there is much to the package other than the cable that plugs into the 5 pin connector and brings it out to a 4 pin trailer connector. Normally I've see more like $400-500 for the option. Maybe the 3.6-Liter Journey is basically ready to tow other than the cable.

From looking at my build sheet and the info you guys ahve given me it looks like that might be the case other then a flash, the short 5 pin to 4 pin cable and a hitch reciever. Much cheaper then I anticipated.

Still waiting on my kit.

If I could get my build sheet and one from a Journey with the tow package I could compare but alas I have neither.

Timon, if you go to the link below and on the left it should say "equipment listing". Click that and enter your VIN. It will generate your build sheet for you in PDF form. This is how I got mine.

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html?screenName=newVehicle&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%2528%2527R%2527%2529

Edited by Skinner

Skinner, thanks for the link.

I compared my build with one that had towing. Both have the Oil Cooler and Trailer Sway Damping. Mine does not show the Trailer Tow Prep Group or the Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring. I didn't see any difference in any other items such as the suspension that I would have thought was Tow related other than adding the Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector wiring.

The question still is "Does the Trailer Tow Prep Group include anything other than the Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring?". From what I can find it looks like the answer is no at lease if you start with a 3.6-Liter engine.

Edited by Timon

Anytime.

Im pretty certian that the only difference is that we didnt get the 4-pin connector wiring and maybe a flash. I have to go the the dealer again next week due to them scratching my paint before delivery so im going to talk them into maybe flashing/adding the trailer towing code for free.

In theory I should be able to multimeter the 4-Pin connector I have and see if I get current, which should show if we do indeed have a flash or not.

Can you check something for me? Do each of the 3 relays have 4 or 5 wires tied to each? I'm trying to fight out which way they controlers the lights. If it's 5 wires then it uses the standard wiring scheme but if it uses 4 wires then I suppect each relay controls Lt Tuen, Rt Turn and Tailights and the Journing does the logic to make turns work as turn signals/stop lights.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but it looks like 4 wires. If so I suppect that you'll find 12V on one of the pins, ground on one and the others containing Rt Turn, Lt Turn and Taillights floating until the Journey is flashed at which time they will trigger the relays.

Here is a schematic showing how I think the cable is wired.

The input connections pins assumes that you're looking at the back of the connector on the cable and the pins are numbered left to right. It's quite likely that the pins for the three input signals are wrong but not the power and ground. I'll update the schematic once I know the correct pin numbers.

BTW, this is a live link so as I update the drawing in my dropbox it will change.

Journey%20Trailer%20Wiring%20Cable.png

Skinner, the relays look like they plug into waterproof sockets so it should be very easy to unplug them and ring out the existing cable with a DVM. The underpart of the relay should have the same numbers I show on the schematic.

Edited by Timon