2012 Journey Crew Winter Tire Options?

Isaiah6113

Greetings,

New Journey owner here, 2012 Crew, in service date Nov 2011, with 32,000 kilometres, came stock with 225/55/19. My understanding from reading these excellent forums is that these are oddly-sized tires. So I did a little chart to try and figure some things out. I'm exploring options.

2012JourneyTireSizes.jpg

Here is how my thoughts are unfolding for snow tires: "All Weather" tires on the current 19 rims.

I had some Hankook Optimo 4S all weather, snow flake rated, tires on my previous vehicle and loved them. Terrific in the snow and smooth all year round. So I explored All Weather for 19". Hankook Optimo 4S: No; Goodyear Fortera TripleTred: No; Nokian WR: No; Yokohama W.Drive: YES!

Question 1:

Does anyone have experience with the Yokohama W.Drive? Impressions/suitability for the 2012 DJ Crew? But . . . at CAD348 per tire + Balancing + Sensors, it's a big decision.

Continuing the discussion . . .

The other option is to go with the 17" rims (cheaper) and if I went with the 17" rims that were stock on the other trim journeys then my pure winter tire selection becomes more mechanical, a standard 225 / 65 / 17. Plus of course the balancing and such. Also storage, I don't keep my winter tires at my house. Pretty standard winter tire selection in this scenario, unless I'm missing something.

Now, at 32,000K on the OEM tires I'm going to need new summers probably around 60K or so? Maybe a couple of years. So there is that expense.

Question 2 (for summers):

Does "Option 2" in my chart work assuming I stick with the stock 19" rims? i.e. can I use 235 / 55 /19 on my Journey? Or any other options that will work with the 19"?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

My thoughts . . . I'm leaning to the All Weather W.Drive tires, because with the total cost of tire purchase over the coming 24 months it might make the most sense. Still need to do a litlte number crunching to reach a conclusion. Certainly your thoughts on my two questions is important to this process.

Ok, I think that's it.

Thank you for your help,

Matthew

Update: Oct 26, 2013 Received a few PMs about my chart so here it is updated, speedo changes noted, some choices narrowed. Hope it's useful:

2012JourneySizeChart.jpg

Edited by Isaiah6113

I went to 17" rims and winter tires with my old 2009 Journey SXT. Traded it for a 2013 Crew last winter and no issues using the same winter rims. There was no selection at all for tires in 19" when I had the 2009 DJ so went with 17" rims. I am very pleased that I went that route. Takes me less that an hour to change over the rims and am all set. I went south to the US and got my tires and rims. Could not come close to the same cost north of the border. 4 American Racing alloy rims and 4 Hankook winter tires for $1050.00. Could not get anywhere close for just black steel rims and tires up here. Did not bother with TPMS for the winter rims. :shades:

Thank you for your replies.

Narrowed it down to dedicated steelies with the 225 65 17 and for rubber will use the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

That way when it's time to replace the summers it gives flexibility to play around with the rims, because I'm not locked into the all weathers. Lots' of options out there!.

Best regards,

M.

My wife had a terrible time last winter with the factory tires. So I decided to get her a set of winters for this year. There are many vehicles out there with the same sized bolt pattern & hub that you should have no problem finding good used sets for a decent price. I got a set of 17" alloy wheels with good snow tires already on them for $380 on Kijiji. They are from a Chrysler Pacifica. Some other vehicles you can get wheels from include late model Grand Caravan/Town & Country, Jeep Commander, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee and the VW Touran (same as a Caravan).

The size you need is:

Bolt pattern = 5 x 127mm or 5 x 5"

Hub diameter = 71.5mm

Here are some currently for sale on Kijiji:

Snows on steels for $400 (Burlington): http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-WINTER-SNOW-TIRES-RIMS-FULL-SET-OF-4-W0QQAdIdZ537848747

Snows on Alloys for $500 (Barrie): http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-rims-Pirelli-Scorpion-Ice-and-Snow-Tires-W0QQAdIdZ537170880

Snows on steels for $200 (Kitchener): http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-WINTER-SNOW-TIRES-Champiro-225-65-17-W0QQAdIdZ537730787

Snows on steels for $290 (Simcoe): http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-Michelin-X-Ice-Snow-Tires-235-65R17-W0QQAdIdZ537752081