Vibration while idling and changing PS pump

Alrighty, so my grandmother owns a 2009 Dodge Journey 2.4cyl (hamster wheel edition) 68k miles and I get to be the person that works on it.

Two problems, one I will probably fix and one the dealer will probably fix but I would like to know the cause of.

What I will probably fix: When I turn the wheel with acceleration I notice a noice (kind of like a moan) that definitely makes me think it is the power steering pump. Now I am a person that works on suspension usually (brakes, rotors, cv shaft, lower ball joints, tie rods, struts, etc.) and don't know that much about power steering, much less this "truck". I take it this noice is not usuall (not to mention the sound of the engine that is not usual to me haha) because she brought it to my attention and I have been driving it lately and also noticed this noice. It doesn't constantly happen, but when it does I can definitely hear it. I took a brief dark look at the PSF and it looks to be more on the red side, possibly a little brown (mind you I was in a closed garage with not much light and a crappy flashlight) and smelt a little burnt. The engine department does not include a diagram of the pulleys so I tried to trace the lines and from what I can see I beleive the pulley is at the top front part of the engine, which looks to be extremely easy to get to, correct me if I am wrong. She still has warranty, not sure if they will cover this, so if they don't is there something I need to know before I take this c*cksucker apart and don't have the right tools to finish it? Also am I correct to presume the culprit is the power steering pump?

What the dealer will probably fix: I have noticed a pretty rough vibration at idle. I work as a driver for a local company and my car is down because I hit a raccoon and busted my radiator and bumper, so I have been driving this car. I do start this vehicle frequently throughout the day (on/off more than a dozen times a day) and it doesn't do this at first, but later on in the day when I start it and am just idling I feel a pretty heavy vibration. It doesnt necassarily shake the car, but I can feel it in the driver seat pretty well, feels like sitting in a lower-powered massage chair. My first thought was motor mounts, but I decided to come here and register and see if I can get any input/experience/expertise, with respect to the "power steering" problems.

Thanks for your input guys and I hope to get some help through this forum. I usually find the best help subscribing to forums inwhich people have more experience than me dealing with these problems with a specific car.

Edited by ownedinthedome

have had problems in past vans with noise and whines from power steering and started using lucas power steering oil and it has always fixed the problem it is really great oil seems thick as hell but but works. i would use a turkey baster( the kind with a bulb so you can suck up liquid) to remove as much power steering fuild and then just refill to proper level. cost about $7-9 a bottle at auto store or wally mart. as far as checking your engine mounts have someone sit in car with car in gear and foot on the brake real hard with the hood open and you stand by the side of car and have them rev the engine, if the engine raises up a couple of inches then you have some bad mounts. ps on one of the vans the dealer was telling me it was the power steering arm unit (not the pump) that was making the noise and it would cost about $3 - $400 to replace the unit and i was googling it and it was suggested to try lucas oil and it did fix the noise and problem for as long as i owned the van and was sold to my daughters aunt and she still has the van 4 yrs now and still no problems with the steering unit worth the try

Edited by 2late4u