Car Accident Lawsuit...Help?!?!?

josinski89

I was "involved" in a auto accident about four weeks ago. The other driver claims that I cut her off at an intersection, she tried avoid my DJ and crashed. But I was actually at a complete stop (stop sign) and seen her lose control of her car. She crashed straight into a utility pole. Instead of keep driving to my destination, my girlfriend decided that I should stop and check on the driver. I checked on the driver and asked if she was alright? Her reply was do you have insurance? The mistake on my part was exchanging insurance with this crazy lady. After we exchanged info, the police came and heard both sides of the story. The police told both of us that I would not be in the police report because their was no damaged to my DJ. Well now I get a phone call from my insurance, she is sueing for damages and injury. Any advice or experience that you can share with me. Never been in this type of situation and am a bit worried about it. Thank you, John.

A few questions that I have are, did the police issue a citation for her crash? And what was the cause of the crash on the report? It is and has been my rule of thumb to not speak to the other parties other than are you ok and I'm calling 911 for help. Exchanging insurance information makes you involved. If your vehicle wasn't struck and law enforcement does not see you as being a factor in the crash then no need for the other party to know who you were other than a witness to their bad driving. You will more than likely have to go for a deposition, as will the officer and any other witnesses. As far as not being mentioned in the report it should be because you are not involved, not because there was no damage. That is another question. And depending how far she wants to push this you may want to talk to a lawyer about this. In most cases insurance companies are good at weeding out the bad cases. When the first thing out of her mouth was about insurance I would have become instantly mute. I have had to talk to a few Insurance Companies about situations like this and as long as you have all of your facts and witnesses you should have nothing to worry about.

Good luck and be glad no one in your car was hurt. Keep us posted!

Why would you give your insurance information to the person who crashed? And it doesn't matter whether you cut her off or not - she has to drive in a safe manner and be able to avoid accidents, pretty much no matter what you do. No contact. No responsibility.

Edited by bramfrank