Curt tow hitch 13335 interferes with spare tire

MKinSoCal

Yesterday I installed a Curt 13335 tow hitch on my 2013 SXT. Other than removing and replacing the exhaust hangers, which even with the hanger removal tool was a pain, the install went smoothly. I will use the tow hitch primarily for my dual bike carrier and don't plan on towing anything. However, when I replaced the spare tire I noticed the rear end of the hitch opening ( which faces the front of the vehicle) interfered with the position of the spare tire. I had to jam the tire over the hitch and it is now sitting at about a 15 degree angle instead of flat under the vehicle. We took the bikes to the beach today with no problems, even with a short stretch on the freeway, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this hitch? I'm going to contact both Dodge and the manufacturer tomorrow.

I have installed that very same hitch on my old 2009 DJ SXT and also on my 2013 DJ Crew that we bought a few months ago and did not experience any issues with the spare. I just had to guide it a little to settle into the recess. Try lowering the spare and then raise it back into position making sure the tire goes in with the hitch side of the tire leading into the recess.

• 2 weeks later...

I also installed the same hitch on my 2012 and did not have a problem. I even have the tire cover that came from the factory (most Journey's don't have this, not sure why mine came with one). Like wingit11 stated, you need to help guide it into position by leading the tire above the hitch as you raise it. After doing this it will seat properly.