E-Brake location - Europe vs. North America

Rubberdude88

Hey all,

Saw this image posted by Robert from New Zealand. It shows the e-brake handle between the seats to the left of the center console. This looks aesthetically really good. I like it. Here in North America, we are given a peddle way off to the left of our feet and it is tucked up almost under the dash. You can't use the e-brake for any winter fun here - drifting :)

I also notice it's a Dodge not a Fiat. I thought it was Fiat in the Australia / New Zealand part of our earth - guess not.

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/gallery/image/1078-rhd/

Anyway, found it to be interesting and wonder why it is not this way here in Canada / USA. I would prefer it with the center console.

Welcome to the forum Robert. Enjoy your new Black RT - looks really nice.

Cheers

hi Rubberdude88,

Thanks for the welcome. It is interesting the e-brake location, I did not realise that there were different options either. It would be great the day we can order our cars configured exact how we want from the factory. But that would still be a tricky decision for us though as the wife prefers the foot e-brake and I prefer the hand brake version.

You guys still get much more other interesting options than us too. Our Journeys are basically imported preconfigured and we have very few choices to actually make. Believe it or not we cannot get AWD, the power sunroof or even auto headlights and DRLs here yet. All of which I would have chosen if possible.

The Dodge Journey/Fiat Freemont branding is confusing even for us here. I originally saw the Journey and liked it so did a bit more homework and then read an old news article stating it would be phased out here in favour of the Freemont, not wanting to get a discontinued model I rung the local Fiat dealer to have a look and then they put me through to Dodge. The sales guy told me there are no plans to offer the Freemont in New Zealand yet. No complaints from me though as I prefer the grille of the Journey and definitely the V6 engine.

In Aussie apparently they are selling them side by side and the point of difference being the Pentastar engine and 7 seats as standard in the Journey.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

The Fiat models in Europe use both ways, depending which gearbox you have ordered. Cars with ATM have the pedal, cars with MTM come with the handle in the center. Hill start is not the reason, because MTM's also have a Hill-Holder-Assistant, which locks the brakes automatic on hill starts. There is no need to put the hand from the steering wheel. This works great and I love that feature.

Edited by Toy4ever