Imperfections

ironmike2014

I'm 90% sure I'll be purchasing a 2009 Journey SE within the next month and have take two out on test drives. I really do like the ride and the low fuel consumption. My other car is a '04 Chrysler Intrepid SXT w/ 3.5L HO engine.

My questions re: the Journey SE is that during my walk around of the vehicle, I noticed two things that stuck out in my mind that made me question why is this....?

#1. Why is there a 2" hole in the front wheel-well on both sides?

My concern (being in Cda) is that salt and snow can enter the fender. ???

#2. The spare tire is exposed underneath with no covering. I've never had to use my spare tires in the past, but just in case, will that rim not rust???

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, I love these groups. Been a member of the DodgeIntrepid.Net for years and always had great feedback from it's members.

#1. Never noticed that before. I don't think it will be a problem though, as anything that gets in can drain out the bottom.

#2. This is a very common placement for a spare. Most larger vehicles have it there: pick-ups, vans. It shouldn't rust any more than any steel wheels in use would.

#1. Never noticed that before. I don't think it will be a problem though, as anything that gets in can drain out the bottom.

#2. This is a very common placement for a spare. Most larger vehicles have it there: pick-ups, vans. It shouldn't rust any more than any steel wheels in use would.

Thanks Mikem, I appreciate the feedback.

• 1 year later...

#1. Why is there a 2" hole in the front wheel-well on both sides?

My concern (being in Cda) is that salt and snow can enter the fender. ???

I think I've figured it out. The other day I was driving beside a newer Audi or Volvo (was dark) suv and noticed he had side marker lights in the same spot as the mysterious wheel well holes on the journeys. I think its Dodge's cheapa** way of adding this feature.

:finger:

I think I've figured it out. The other day I was driving beside a newer Audi or Volvo (was dark) suv and noticed he had side marker lights in the same spot as the mysterious wheel well holes on the journeys. I think its Dodge's cheapa** way of adding this feature.

:finger:

no idea about #1 .... but for question #2 i noticed that not all spare tire on the Journey is covered .... i do have a cover. At first i thought that only Journeys equipped with the the four banger ( aka Journey SE ) did not have the cover ..... until i saw some SXT without it too ....

i think the cover was removed along with the rear amber turn signals for 2010 and up to lower cost ......

• 3 months later...

I know this was asked long ago, but just an FYI for those who are browsing the forums for information, I thought I'd add my 2c worth. #2. Having owned many SUV"s and Minivans in the past, this is common practice. The wheel in Ontario does rust, however I would suggest at least twice a year cranking down the tire (or bi-monthly if possible). Also you can try putting in a rubber/plastic grommit or applying some WD-40 between the wheel and the holder to prevent it from seizing up. If you live in the rust belt and don't crank it down once and awhile you may find your wheel rusted to the vehicle. Also while it's down you might as well check the air pressure.