Faulty Exhaust Phasers 2011 Journey R/T

Easy

I'm not sure if anybody else had or heard of this problem, I surely was unaware of it until a couple of days ago.

Hot, humid day... Leave my office about five pm, start the engine, "service engine" light stays on... Turn it off, wait few seconds, restart, same thing. "Can't be much" I say to myself and off to the dealer I go. By the way, I've got 52K on this baby, in other words almost at the end of the warranty. So they take it in, they test it, long story short they tell me I've got faulty exhaust phasers and they need the car for a day, possibly day and a half!

What?!?!?! What's "exhaust phasers"?! Anyway... They are timing gears that adjust the camshaft on variable valve timing (VVT) engines (or something of that sort). Apparently, a lot of these engines have this problem and a case is being built against (or for, I'm not sure) Dodge. About a thousand dollars, if the warranty no longer applies.

So the repair is done and honestly, I cannot tell the difference: same sound, same power, same responsiveness, maybe the fuel consumption will improve, who knows... I'm not doing too bad right now, about 12.3 litres / 100km city + hwy, but there's always room for improvement :-)

Happy trails and watch out for the other guy...

I had this problem. They replaced them and mine is good as new. I never had the check engine light. The dealer discovered it on a routine maintenance visit. Make sure you have your dealer put a good tech on the job. They have to crack the engine open to replace the cam phasers. Anyway, I was pretty bent out of shape over it. I only had 10K miles on mine when I had it done. Worked out ok. Hope yours is the same. Good Luck. Make sure your dealer puts a good tech on the job. . .

Peace.