Brand New Journey burnt to the ground

ptcruide

So I've been driving my 2010 Journey for awhile now. I LOVE IT! I have 88000 trouble free miles on it. I'm 19 years old and my girlfriend is 18 years old, her explorer is nearing the end of usable life. I have convinced her that Dodge Journeys are the perfect vehicle for us to grow into. I took her to my preffered dealer (over 650 cars in stock.) We were looking at brand new 2013 Dodge Journeys when we walked to the used lot. In the back of the lot was a brand new 2013 Dodge Journey that was barely noticable. It was completely burned to a crisp, nothing survived not even the rims. I asked my salesman about it and he very quickly told me that they took the Journey to fill it up for a customer at the gas station. They must have left it running and the static electricity found an ignition source and the vehicle literally exploded. I will have to get a picture of it before they hall it off for junk, such a beautiful vehicle wasted.

The described fire event has been reported for

many car models by different makers.

It has little to do with the fact of the car

running or not, the cause being static electrical

charges.

Best case scenario is to discharge yourself by touching

the car door as you get out, seat material, clothing and

environment all are involved in static generation.

• 2 weeks later...