Gas Mileage - This can't be right ? Help

We just purchased a 2013 Journey AWD R/T. I have filled up twice and I am a little concerned. I guess its a 70 liter tank and it cost around $90 to fill.

The mileage is showing at 18.6/100kms. I got just over 500kms on a tank. This is nuts. City driving, but the specs show around 12.2 / 100kms.

Could this be that the car is just new ?

Anything I should be doing / looking at ? Could there be an issue with the journey ?

Can anyone else let me know what they are getting per tank ?

We got this, as the mileage looked decent.

Please any feedback would be helpful.

Ron

Depending on whether the AC is on, how much stop and go driving you do, how hard you are on the gas pedal and such, that mileage may well be perfectly reasonable.

My 2.4 gets 12.2 l/100 km combined, and does as well as 8.8l/100km on highway runs - the other 2 I own don't do as well because they have a higher city driven component, they are driven by employees and carry tools and stuff - but there is still a fair highway component, so even then it isn't comparable.

Fill the beast up and take it on a level highway run with the cruise engaged. If you get better than 10l/100km your vehicle is fine.

This topic is an ongoing subject,yes your mpg should improve as the kms driven

goes up some of the increase can be attributed to the engine wear-in factor.

The other thing that has an effect on the modern computer driven cars

is its ability to adjust operating factors to your style of driving-it learns by

doing.

You have to compare apples to apples with reference to like models such as

AWD/7 seater etc along with factors such as terrain in user area.

I filled up this am with 540 kms on this tank to auto shutoff it took 59.295 liters.

That works out to 10.9 L/100k but again mine is FWD/V6/7 seater 95% city driven.

I drive the limits and not first from light to light and our terrain is relatively

hilly in nature so I am more than happy with the resulting L/100km.

what you are seeing is what I have been seeing also. I have been told by Chrysler techs that the engine takes about 5000 KMS to properly let the engine breakin and start to see some good gas mileage which sounds right. Also the SPECS are under PERFECT DRIVING CONDITIONS which from day to day we never see thus the bigger numbers. Its sorta misleading but every brand does it :(

The mileage is showing at 18.6/100kms. I got just over 500kms on a tank. This is nuts. City driving, but the specs show around 12.2 / 100kms.

Ron

The gas mileage varies greatly whether you are city driving or highway driving. I have got a best of 9.3 L/100 kms. highway driving twice to a worst of 23.6 L/100 kms. city driving in the middle of a cold winter with lots of idling for warmups. I seem to have gotten better mileage the few times I was using Premium gas but not enough experimentation to conclusively say that. As with most vehicles today if you stay at 100-110 kph the car will get better gas mileage than at 120 kph. Unfortunately I live in Saskatchewan where it is soooooo flat that 120 kph on the highway is the norm.

If you are interested I have kept track of my gas mileage since Day 1 and this can be viewed by clicking on the Fuelly icon below. As stated before the mileage will get better as you get more kilometers on the car, as stated in previous posts.

Hope this helps, don't be afraid to get a hold of me if you have any questions.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer