Dodge journey tire pressure

Chris1276

So i just wanna hear some info about recommended tire pressure! Sticker on my door panel says that 50 psi is recommended pressure!!

Since my pressure guage is.. Im not sure if accurate or not. What is the acceptable range of pressure we can go!

Since my guage is crappy unreliable (i just assume because its just give away last year) i over inflate it by 2psi.

If you are not sure and cant make it perfect! Are you going to over inflate it or under inflate?

My door sticker says 36 psi or 250 kpa think you misread yours.

Any how after spending many years on the road as a tech rep

doing 40,000 km/yr I have always run 2 psi/14 kpa above

recommended while achieving more than expected tire wear

and mpg/L/100km.

I was given a neat Mopar guage by my dealer years ago.

Works great!

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/gallery/image/1002-photo-00004/

Edited by bigtsr

I doubt the door panel says 50 psi - that may well be above the tire rating!!!

Spend the $10 when they are on sale and buy a decent pressure gauge.

As mentioned above, DJs want 36 psi (cold tire reading) - I run mine 1 psi over.

My guess is that you are looking at the pressure for the spare tire... The temporary spares that vehicles come with now are usually inflated in the 50-60 psi range. Your regular tires though should be more in the 36 psi range. My RAM pickup with the Cummins Turbo Diesel requires 60 psi to support that weight, but, the Journey wouldn't come anywhere close...

2 psi over won't affect anything at all. May harshen the ride a bit, but, IMHO, you won't know the difference and it would keep the tread flatter on the road while keeping the sidewalls a bit stiffer.

• 7 months later...

My new blizzaks say 44 psi, should I go by that or 240+ kpa like my tpms is telling me to inflate to. Only the front right tire is tripping the low tire light but I get different readings sometimes. Its also been extremely cold where I live -30c and lower. Any advice? 2014 journey rt on 18 inch winter tires. The dealer installed the sensors for the smaller winter wheels as well.

The pressure indicated on the sidewall of tires is the MAXIMUM cold pressure that the tires can safely take, but the actual target inflation is dictated by the specifics of the vehicle, as indicated on the Packard on the door frame and in the user manual. The trip point on the TPMS is below the lowest recommended pressure reading and running your tires that low will lead to premature wearout.

I find it interesting that 'we', as a group tend to run our tires overspec (I run mine at 38 PSI cold) to get better rolling resistance performance - you'd figure that manufacturers would specify them that way already in order to improve fleet mpg ratings. But they don't.

Lots of mechanics like to inflate to 32 PSI (or even less) by rote so I make it a point to have the shop mark my desired tire pressure on work orders and I verify their settings when I take the vehicle back (because they often don't actually read what's been written).

Edited by bramfrank