Recirc motor ticking noise

rsemak

I recently purchased a used 2010 Journey SXT. It has the manual HVAC controls with rear HVAC. When I got the vehicle home and was going through all of the features I noticed a rather loud ticking noise coming from behind the glove box when the vehicle was first started. I removed the glove box and was able to root cause the noise to the recirculation door motor. When the recirculation door on the HVAC closes (goes to outside air mode) it seems like the small motor for that door keeps trying to actuate and creates a loud ticking noise like it's rotating against a positive stop. It makes about 8-10 ticks and then stops. But every time the Recirc button is pushed and then turned off the door closes and it makes the same 8-10 ticking noises. For now I've unplugged the motor and that has fixed it.

Has anyone else had this problem? What was the fix? Do I need a new motor or is there a way to "reset" it so it's knows where the stops are at? It seems like the motor doesn't know that the door has closed and keeps trying to rotate it. Thanks.

I had a Ford Explorer that had the same problem. It had a loud thumping noise for 10 seconds after cranking and then again if you tried to adjust the temperature control. I haven't had this problem on a Journey but I am sure it is the same principle. The gears in the actuator was completely stripped and I would bet this is the same problem you have, just with the recirculate door instead of the temperature control actuator. Dealer wanted $700 to replace it, as it was behind the radio and had to remove the middle console to access the broken part. I bought the part through Autozone for $70 and it took me around 4 hours to install. These are parts that rarely break and with the Journey being only 4 yrs old, it might be tough to find a lot of info on your problem. I doubt this helps you out, but if you find a fix or even the problem, you should let us know in case anyone else has the same problem. Good luck to ya!!!

I just wanted to post and update on my recirc door motor issue.

This weekend I removed the motor, it's held in by two screws. I inspected the drive gear on the motor and all looked fine. I then took a mirror and looked at the mating gear pocket in the recirc door and couldn't see anything wrong there either. So with the motor removed I plugged it in and turned the system on and actuated the motor several times by pushing the recirc button. All seemed fine, the motor worked as I expected it should. So I reassembled it back onto the recirc door and low and behold the ticking noise is now gone. The door closes as it should and the motor stops, it doesn't try to keep rotating as it was before. So I don't know what the problem actually was. The only thing I can think is that with disconnecting the battery a couple times maybe the motor got confused and just needed to be "reset".

I'll continue monitoring it and if for some reason the problem returns I'll update this post.

Did you happen to take any pictures of how to get to it? My HVAC is doing something similar. When I go to floor/face split, it doesn't blow out of the face vents, just the floor; only 10% of the air comes out the face vents. It used to seem like a nice 50/50 split. Seems like the splitter (whatever the part is called), isn't actuating all the way...gets stuck on floor vents only.

Sorry, no, I didn't take any pictures. But I can next time I'm working on it.

The recirc door is located behind the glove box. The face/floor splitter door is in the main part of the HVAC unit and located directly behind the radio/HVAC controls. I have not checked in the Journey but there is usually a motor and some plastic linkage that controls all the temp and air outlet doors. Probably one motor for the air outlet (face/floor/def) and a separate motor for the temp. These should be located on the driver side of the HVAC unit. You should be able to access them from the floor on the driver side. You will have to get down and look up behind the dash. I suspect the linkage has gotten some junk in it and might not be fully actuating the door. You would need a flash light and may be able to see and clean the linkage to get it working properly again.

If I get a chance this weekend I'll see if I can check out my Journey and get some pictures for you.