Tires and MyGig update

tc004056

Hello, I am a newbie who has been reading all of your posts for a couple of months, while waiting for my new Journey R/T which arrived last Thursday Oct.9th.

Regarding winter tires : Being from Quebec, Canada, and with the new law which was instituted for this winter concerning the obligation to drive on snow tires, I have done my home work and had to call, visit, revise several blogs and forums on the subject, and the conclusion is this : regarding the 19" tires (225/55 R19) which are installed on the R/T model, the appropriate 19'' snow tires, the only ones recommended(and available) by 3 Dodge dealership here around Montreal is the installation of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Tires sized at 235/55R19. This solution is expensive (between 250 and 325 $CND per tire, taxes, installation, balancing, environmental fees not included) but doesn't involve the cancellation of the tire pressure sensors. Other solutions are offered on 16 thru 18 inch wheels, less expensive by a couple of hundreds of dollars, but these involve cancelling the tire pressure sensors, and also, but I cannot confirm this information, the possibility of having an in-dashboard service indicator that will be lit for the whole time you will have the winter tires on.

Regarding the MyGig updates : My system information indicates that my release number is 8.032. I have followed this link(http://mofv.com/mygig/) in order to get the latest update for the model (RER) I own. I have followed the instructions regarding the burning of the appropriate files on a CD, but no success. May be I have misread or not found answers for this question, but has anyone tried to update their system without having the original disc I am suppose to receive from Dodge, I guess?

Many thanks

Christian

Hello, I am a newbie who has been reading all of your posts for a couple of months, while waiting for my new Journey R/T which arrived last Thursday Oct.9th.

Regarding winter tires : Being from Quebec, Canada, and with the new law which was instituted for this winter concerning the obligation to drive on snow tires, I have done my home work and had to call, visit, revise several blogs and forums on the subject, and the conclusion is this : regarding the 19" tires (225/55 R19) which are installed on the R/T model, the appropriate 19'' snow tires, the only ones recommended(and available) by 3 Dodge dealership here around Montreal is the installation of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Tires sized at 235/55R19. This solution is expensive (between 250 and 325 $CND per tire, taxes, installation, balancing, environmental fees not included) but doesn't involve the cancellation of the tire pressure sensors. Other solutions are offered on 16 thru 18 inch wheels, less expensive by a couple of hundreds of dollars, but these involve cancelling the tire pressure sensors, and also, but I cannot confirm this information, the possibility of having an in-dashboard service indicator that will be lit for the whole time you will have the winter tires on.

Regarding the MyGig updates : My system information indicates that my release number is 8.032. I have followed this link(http://mofv.com/mygig/) in order to get the latest update for the model (RER) I own. I have followed the instructions regarding the burning of the appropriate files on a CD, but no success. May be I have misread or not found answers for this question, but has anyone tried to update their system without having the original disc I am suppose to receive from Dodge, I guess?

Many thanks

Christian

A smaller tire is generally better for traction during winter. If you change of size and don't put TPMS during winter, the low pressure indicator will stay on all the time and ring each time you will start the car. But there is nothing dangerous. Some cars limit speed to 80km/h when there is no TPMS, but it is not supposed to be like that on the Journey. If you want to stay with the 19", you can also look at the Toyo Open Country G02+.

A smaller tire is generally better for traction during winter. If you change of size and don't put TPMS during winter, the low pressure indicator will stay on all the time and ring each time you will start the car. But there is nothing dangerous. Some cars limit speed to 80km/h when there is no TPMS, but it is not supposed to be like that on the Journey. If you want to stay with the 19", you can also look at the Toyo Open Country G02+.

YES, I agree that smaller tires will have better traction. Also if you go down on 16 or 17" you have more place in the wheelhouse, which is better if you have snowy winters.

I´m from Germany and since 2 weeks I drive the 2.4 SE which is equipped with 16". My winter tires (FULDA Supremo) I bought now also have the TPMS. I inspected summer and winter tires (both 16") and they have thicker metal air valves. So the system is not like a band inside the rim, it´s the cheaper valve control system you can use also for 16 or 17" wheels without problem. The system will warn you if the pressure is going down significantly, no difference which inch size is on the car.

Next year I change my summer tires to 18/19" - but I will wait what market has to offer - I don´t like to have rims from Dodge or from some specialized Dodge spare parts companies because they all look the same.

Ask your dealer - buy the valves - and then buy your tires whereever you want. Perhaps he a good offer for the complete winter package for you.

I just got 4 215/70/16 Winterforce tires that are going on steel rims from my dealer- paid $302 US for all 4 shipped to my US mail box

I will listen to the chime & ignore the little light on the dash

The tire size calculator says the speedo will only be out by + - .5 mph which will be fine as compared to the 19" wheels

Thanks