Noise after shifting gears

chavo60

Okay so I noticed this a while ago and thought it would stop but It's getting very annoying and I shouldn't have to deal with it.

So here's the problem. When I accelerate I can feel the car shifting gears (auto trans)... once it gets to third gear the rpms go down and I hear this weird noice.... hard to describe it but its like a humming or grinding of some sort. It doesnt last long, normally for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. It doesnt always happen but it happens at least 6 out of 10 times I accelerate from a stop position.

Any suggestions what this is?

I have a 2012 DJ with under 25k miles.

HELP! :)

I have the same weird noise when the speed of my R/T reaches the 40 to 45 mph mark after that the humming/vibrating noise goes away. From where do you hear this noise? The noise in mine comes from the mid section giving me the idea it might be the driveshaft or U-joints. I'll give an update when I take my car to the dealership for its schedule maintenance.

Edited by natalcarlos

My '13 R/T has the same "noise", right at 40 mph. Only happens as it hits 40 mph and doesn't even last a second. Sounds kind of like hitting the rumble strips that are on the side of the road, but, I don't feel it and I really have to listen, most of the time, to even hear it. I sense it more on light / slow acceleration than when I'm "getting on it". Dealer said it was something (I don't remember now what he said) transitioning in the transfer case (AWD) and that it was "normal" to happen at around 40 mph. He said if I noticed it happening during downshift (I don't) or at any other speed to bring it in to have the transfer case looked at. To date (and it happened from day 1 and even on the '12 AWD that I test drove) it only happens when upshifting as the car goes through the 40 mph point and I never hear it when decelerating or downshifting. Even holding it at 40 mph doesn't make it come back or last longer; just that instant when I cross the 40 mph point; like something dropping out of a "ready state".

Maybe one of the Chrysler Cares guys can chime in with the technical reason... I don't worry about it on mine. I know it does happen and if I'm listening for it I'll hear it, but, if I'm talking or concentrating on heavy traffic, I don't even hear it. and my wife hasn't even noticed it yet.

• Official Dodge Support

The only shift improvement flash is listed below. Not sure if this will eliminate the symptoms as describe here but it is the only thing I could find on the subject.

NUMBER: 18-008-13
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: February 21, 2013

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High And
Transmission Shift Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 3.6L or 2.4L engine (sales
code ERB or ED3) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2)
built before October 23, 2012 (MDH 1023XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience any of the following:
· Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the
Technician may find that P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High
NUMBER: 18-008-13
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: February 21, 2013
has been set active or stored 3.6L engine.
NOTE: MIL Illumination for P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit
High affects only 2012 model year vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine
(sales code ERB).
· 1 - 2 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines
· 3 - 4 harsh upshift at closed throttle after a WOT stab in 1st or 2nd gear. 2.4L & 3.6L
engines
· 4 - 5 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines
· 5 - 6 upshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine
· 6 - 5 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine
· 6 - 4 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine
· RPM Fluctuating or Jerking feeling while operating in cruise control. Condition is
more noticeable when the vehicle is going up and down grades.2.4L & 3.6L
engines
· 1 - 2 harsh upshift going down a grade 2.4L engine
· 3 - 2 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine
· 4 - 3 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine
· Improves the consistency of how shifts are controlled during upshifts “torque
management”.
· Delayed downshifts 3.6L engine
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.

I'm so glad people other than me have noticed this....

Webslave is right... it sounds like "rumble strips that are on the side of the road."

The noise doesnt really bother me. My worry is that it's something that will haunt me later down the road if its not addressed now. Like the differentials or something.

Natalcarlos, please let us know if you learn something new about this.

Dodgecares... how do I get the flash? Is that something the dealer can do? Do they charge for that?

Thanks all for you input

• Official Dodge Support
I'm so glad people other than me have noticed this....

Webslave is right... it sounds like "rumble strips that are on the side of the road."

The noise doesnt really bother me. My worry is that it's something that will haunt me later down the road if its not addressed now. Like the differentials or something.

Natalcarlos, please let us know if you learn something new about this.

Dodgecares... how do I get the flash? Is that something the dealer can do? Do they charge for that?

Thanks all for you input

Any Chrysler dealer can perform the flash. It is covered under the basic warranty period.

I don't believe the flashing of the PCM will take care of the "rumble strip sound"... If your vehicle is suffering from the harsh shifting/clunking that the TSB refers to, then that might be the ticket for that problem. My '13 R/T AWD, shifts smooth as silk, but, right at 40 mph it makes the very faint "rumble strip" sound and it doesn't last half a second at the speeds I normally drive. So far it hasn't affected anything and hasn't gotten worse, so, I'll take my dealer's word for it that it is normal, but, will keep an eye on it. Since the car is brand new, I've got a lot of warranty time left and there isn't any point in my generating unnecessary worry for what may just be a new technological instance of "normal".

Never owned an AWD vehicle before and there will, undoubtably, be a learning curve for what is "normal" just like the strange noises that I would get out of the Jeep's full time 4 wheel drive. Both systems require a very complicated set of electrical and manually controlled clutches and gear packs that have to make some noise as they drop in and out; it is just a matter of getting a new feel for what is "normal". I would imagine, in the AWD system of the Journey, that there is a clutch pack that is engaged at speeds below 40 mph to control torque steer and wheel spin and that at 40 mph it is designed to "release" and let the vehicle transition to FWD for fuel economy. The "rumble strip" sound could be the electric clutch releasing the drive system for the rear wheels... Just a guess on my part...would be nice if we could get the shop manuals; a lot of that information could be gleaned from the information found there, but, alas, the "powers that be" have decided we don't have the brain power or the skills necessary to have that type of information available to us at any cost. Can you tell it still, after a lot of years, irks me that someone decided I was too dumb to have that information available to me??? :rant2: