One brake light staying on, w/pic any answers?

Within this past week after driving the DJ and pulling into the garage, turning off the lights we were surprised to find that one brake light saying on, no matter what, keys in, keys out it stays lit. Once and a while the bulb will turn off but sure enough it will turn on again.

We are thinking that it is a shortage in the wires. I included a pic if you can't imagine it enough :-P so yeah any thoughts anyone with a similar problem? I searched the forum with no success in any similar issue. Also just a note our DJ also had the license plate bulb wiring harness replaced since the bulbs melted to the sockets. Idk if that will have anything to do with it.

sounds like a short to me.... did you take the light apart and see how the harness looks( there is two plugs located inside the rear tail gate that will allow the whole light assembly to come out. If its still under factory warrentee I would setup an appointment as this should be covered under that....

Yeah we have a '10 that uses the same bulb for brake/ turn signal, no amber turns, I took the bulb out put a new one in turned the bulbs around and did everything I could do and no fix. We dropped it off at a Chrysler dealership and they were as dumbfounded as we are. The base of the bulbs had a little discoloration of brown but Im guessing thats from the brake light having been on for at least 10 hours without us knowing (from after going to a store through the night and until the morning) . The DJ started right up. drove to work cuz we couldn't do anything about it because there was no time to. And on occasion for the rest of the few days it would randomly go out and then turn back on again. It is still under warranty so it should be covered. We got a brand new Jeep Patriot as a loaner untill the DJ is fixed. The AWD is really nice since we live in northern MI wish we got our DJ with AWD. The R/T we wanted got nabbed from under us so we took that gold SXT you see in that picture for a less and still awesome in the winter. :-)

called back and are going to replace the... bear with me I don't know how to spell it..."TIPM" or tippem or tippum it sounds like TIP-M. Which is don't know how it is spelt but anyway they are replacing the TIP-M module Wednesday. Lets hope thats it. They said the TIP-M module controls the brakes and lights or something, sounds like a coveralll if you ask me. I've never Hurd of it at all so idk.

• 4 weeks later...