Winter tires & rims on 2012 R/T

raff

Just bought a set of winter tires and rims at a Green and Ross dealer. Went with a set of "factory fit" 17 inch steel rims and 225/65/17 Michelin X-ice tires. Tight fit around calipers, maybe an eight of a inch, but no rubbing. Close enough in height to the factory 19's that there doesn't seem to be any issue with the speedo, compared gauge to the GPS and it looks ok. I didn't spring for four more TPMS sensors, way too much money. EVIC flashed a warning and lit up low pressure LED about tire pressure and after about ten minutes shut itself off and tire pressure indication is now blank. Hopefully it turns itself back on in spring when I put the other tires back on.

• 3 weeks later...

Dec 10.12. Now searching for winter tires for my north-west Ontario Xmas trip. My 2012 Journey RT AWD came with all-season 225/55R/19's. One dealer suggested 225/70/16's for $772(total). Another suggested 225/65/17's for $863. I was told that going down to the 16's may affect gas mileage. Does anyone have an opinion on which size is better? (Oh, those prices were with rims included)

Edited by tonyk

TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors, special electronic values that tell your car your tire pressure. Used instead of the regular rubber tire valves.

EVIC - Electronic Vehicle Information Center. The computer system that is displayed between your RPM gauge and Speedometer, providing information such as tire pressure, gas mileage, etc...

I think the dealer has to have them on the factory ones, because its in the factory options list. As for not getting them on the second set, thats you're choice. I didn't get them in mine. I went with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on and they are great. Had a bad night recently with a lot of blowing snow and ice on the roads, still manage good traction on the highway, not one slippage.

Tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Ice+WRT

Edited by AstralRT

1. All vehicles manufactured after August 2007 (<10,000 GVW) are required to have TPMS systems
  2. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a ruling in 2011 clarifying that tire stores can be held liable and fined (up to $10,000 per occurrence) for ‘knowingly [making] the TPMS system inoperative’, including by installing winter tires that don’t have TPMS sensors on a vehicle with a TPMS

Looking for studded winter tires for my wifes SXT heard lots of issues with rims ,I have had prices in Thunder Bay of $1150-$1300 with me buying TPMS up to 1600 with them suppling TPMS these were on steel rims, I can get them across border in the US $1250 installed with TPMS on aluminum rims. Just worried about the rim hitting caliper issue

1. All vehicles manufactured after August 2007 (<10,000 GVW) are required to have TPMS systems
  2. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a ruling in 2011 clarifying that tire stores can be held liable and fined (up to $10,000 per occurrence) for ‘knowingly [making] the TPMS system inoperative’, including by installing winter tires that don’t have TPMS sensors on a vehicle with a TPMS

Don't think Canada has that same law.