Sirius Backseat TV availability

Does anyone know when the Sirius Backseat TV option will be available for the Journey? I have the Sirius radio with mygig along with the rear seat video group. I'm hoping there will be some kind of kit or module for it. Unfortunately, I told my kids about this feature thinking it was already available. So now, of course, I get asked about this all the time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two different Dodge dealers told me the same thing - that an add-on module for Sirius Backseat TV for the mygig radios will NOT be available anytime soon, if ever at all. So, already having the rear seat video option, I took matters into my own hands and bought the SCV1 Sirius Backseat TV tuner kit and installed it myself. Actually a friend and me installed it. It took about 2 hours to install.

I fed the power wires through and access hole in the firewall above the drivers side foot well. I ran the red "ignition" wire to an unused fuse in the fuse box designated for rear heated seats. I ran the yellow "battery" wire to the red positive post (where you jump-start the car from). I ran the ground "black" wire to the same place the battery is grounded to. Inside the car, I fed the power wires behind the console to the passenger side, then under the console to the side of the front passenger seat. I placed the TV tuner itself under the passenger seat. I have the tuner itself velcroed (is velcroed a word?) to the floor under the front passenger seat.

Backseat TV requires and includes 2 antennae. I placed them on the rear of the roof just inside of the roof rails. The instructions recommend spacing the antennae a minimum of 24" apart, preferably 36" apart or more. They happen to be 35" apart and the signal is just fine. I hid the antennae wire under the rear hatch gasketing down under the plastic hatch sill, then under the rear storage compartment, then under the side plastic to the rear passenger door sills to under the front passenger seat.

For those who do not have the factory Sirius radio, This unit will allow you to listen to Sirius radio in the front while the kids watch TV in the rear. But Since I already have the factory mygig with Sirius, I did not need to use the radio tuner portion of the unit. Thus, I also velcroed the DCU (TV tuner display control unit) to the tuner under the seat. So that the included TV remote would work, I ran the included IR remote relay from the TV tuner up the passenger door post under the gasketing to where the white and black trim meet. The remote sensor has it's own Velcro adhesive so I mounted it just below the black/white seam on the black trim so it is inconspicuous. Now, the kids can use the TV remote almost anywhere in the rear of the Journey and the IR sensor will pick-up the signal to change the channel.

As far as the audio and video output wires from the TV tuner, they are the only wires that are not hidden. For now I have them run to the rear a/v inputs on the back of the console. I am considering buying the mygig lockpick with the optional a/v cable so that I can hide the those wires by running them under the console to the radio unit. If I do that, ALL of the wires will be hidden and this would be as close as a factory install you can get for a Journey.

All in all, the $300 price of the Sirius TV tuner kit should be well worth it. My 10, 8 and 6 year olds are quite happy. I should't be hearing "Are we there yet?" on our 2500 mile+ round trip to Florida.

do you have to pay for the service monthly too?

Yes. It is $6.95/month additional, unless it came with your car....then Sirius gives you that service free for 1 year as well as the satellite radio channels.

I also see that Dodge has recently added Backseat TV as an available option from the factory.

Yes. It is $6.95/month additional, unless it came with your car....then Sirius gives you that service free for 1 year as well as the satellite radio channels.

I also see that Dodge has recently added Backseat TV as an available option from the factory.

How many channels do you get? Thanks.

How many channels do you get? Thanks.

3 - The Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network mobile. I have heard there is talk about adding more channels, however for now, these are fine for us. When my kids are watching TV at home it's Disney or Nick 95% of the time. I suspect on our long road trip that The Disney Channel will be on more than the DVD movies.