Anyone looking for OEM size 19" winter tires

Derekmclain9

Anyone looking for winter tires in the 225/55/19. I found Toyo makes them in the oem size. They are called the toyo observe gsi-5 and so far they are excellent tires with exceptional grip. Have had them about a month in northern BC and so far and very happy. They were 1500 installed here. So anyone looking there is an option.

Happy to see some folks can now go that route - but I also recommend buying 17in wheels thus getting way more choices of tires. I got 4 toyo observe open country + 4 17in steelies for a little less.

also

I dont want that excess tire lube to start showing on my wheels & I dont want to mess up the wheels with salt & stuff

Frequent install-disinstall messes up the inner beads of the tire

Lots of snow gets stuck way too easily in mag wheels which creates excessive vibration

If you don't like steels but want to save your rims, you can always get cheap winter alloys. Might cost a little more but will save on a lot of wear of the OEM rim.

I went the winter alloy route as I live on the WEsTcoast of Canada. I can get by with alloys here as our snow fall accumulations are not very great, nor do we have huge temperature swings.

Just couldn't bring myself to buy steel rims/tires from Canadian Tire, and when I went to Costco, they wouldn't order rims, and when I enquired about price for the tires, they were the same price as Tireland. Checked out Kal Tire and when I told on of the reps who waited on me, I had a Dodge Journey, his response was "I feel soory for you". He wasn't even going to try and fit 17" rims and wanted to sell me 18" rims, which would have been OK, but that would have gotten to expensive since I wanted alloys. I also checked out the dealer where I bought the vehicle, and their prices were a little more expensive then Tireland.

So I decided to go with Tireland as price and service was on par or better then Costco/Dealer. I was impressed when I went to Tireland to enquire about rims, before the sales rep could tell his supplier that my Journey had the larger brakes, I heard his response to a question the person on the other side of the phone asked " yes it has the larger brakes". And I was also assured that the stock wheel nuts would fit (which they do), saving a few dollars over the dealer.

When the rims came in they still made sure the rims I wanted fit before ordering the tires. Ended up with 17" alloys and Michelin X-Ice2 tires . I know I could have gotten cheaper tires, but Michelin has been my choice of tires for almost 30 years. No reason to switch. Hope they make all season 19" tires to fit the Journey when the OEMs need replacing, as at the moment they do not.