Anyone else have this noise and do they think its normal?

Mohammadsen

• Official Dodge Support

Hey guys i was on youtube and found this video [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxM6-FHvsRo[/media]. I too have this sound. Does anyone else have this sound occur. Is this sound normal. Thanks in advance. :) Ohh this isnt my car

Mohammadsen

From listening to that video, it sounds like a normal start up.

If you have concerns with your Journey, my only recomendation is to bring it in to your local dealer and have them take a look/listen.

You could also ask the dealer to compare to other Journeys like yours and see if they all start the same.

Hope that helps.

Mohammadsen

From listening to that video, it sounds like a normal start up.

If you have concerns with your Journey, my only recomendation is to bring it in to your local dealer and have them take a look/listen.

You could also ask the dealer to compare to other Journeys like yours and see if they all start the same.

Hope that helps.

No. The sounds isn't normal. The start up sound I guess is normal. Both the grand caravan and my journey does it. But the continued sound isn't in my journey or caravan. Both have the 3.6

I assume you are referring to the humming or growling noise...My DJ does that, too. At first, I thought it was something low on fluid (e.g., power steering pump or tranny), but when I talked to the dealer, they said it was normal. Had them start a couple others on the lot, and sure enough they make the noise. Moreso when it is cold.

Still not sure if it is normal, but it does seem to be consistent in other DJs I listened to. It usually goes away after it warms up a bit.

Keep us posted on what you find. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I hear a ticking sound on startup, which is what all brand new 3.6's did on the dealership lot. BIG red flag to me, which is why I stuck with the 2.4. A new engine shouldn't be doing this.

The roaring sound when it's cold for a little bit might be normal. I've heard others do this. Could be an emissions component.

this is what the bail out money produced during those turbulent times... ;) but seriously,

I'll be taking mine to the dealer next week...damn horrible noise on start up, rumble/grind/groan and it continues as you're driving. Sounds like when you are changing gears with the tiptronic and don't change up in time and then we get something like the smell of burning hair???. I've checked, no squirrels under the hood. :)

• 4 weeks later...

this is what the bail out money produced during those turbulent times... ;) but seriously,

I'll be taking mine to the dealer next week...damn horrible noise on start up, rumble/grind/groan and it continues as you're driving. Sounds like when you are changing gears with the tiptronic and don't change up in time and then we get something like the smell of burning hair???. I've checked, no squirrels under the hood. :)

I don't get any noise on start-up, or noise that is out of place while driving... BUT, we do have an awful smell that comes from the vents when the heat is on.

It's that smell like when you first fire up your furnace the first time each fall/winter (you're in TX, so maybe you can't relate); it smells like burning dust.

It'll do it at first and then go away, only to come back again in a little while. I kind of wonder if the coming and going has anything to do with the auto controls... we hardly ever use manual HVAC controls anymore with the option of auto.

Doesn't do it in the summer when AC is on, only when it gets cold and the heat is on.

I think it's the heater motor, or something related, but I'm not a mechanic so it's hard to know for sure.

Dealer has checked it every time I get oil changes (powertrain still under warranty, might as well make them responsible), and every time they say they can't smell it. My wife definitely disagrees.

Edited by Slick26

I don't get any noise on start-up, or noise that is out of place while driving... BUT, we do have an awful smell that comes from the vents when the heat is on.

It's that smell like when you first fire up your furnace the first time each fall/winter (you're in TX, so maybe you can't relate); it smells like burning dust.

It'll do it at first and then go away, only to come back again in a little while. I kind of wonder if the coming and going has anything to do with the auto controls... we hardly ever use manual HVAC controls anymore with the option of auto.

Doesn't do it in the summer when AC is on, only when it gets cold and the heat is on.

I think it's the heater motor, or something related, but I'm not a mechanic so it's hard to know for sure.

Dealer has checked it every time I get oil changes (powertrain still under warranty, might as well make them responsible), and every time they say they can't smell it. My wife definitely disagrees.

You're absolutely right.

There is a strong odd smell when the heater is on full temp.

I can't quite put my finger on it. My wife hasn't complaint about it, so I'll leave it alone. I've thought that maybe I'm just not used to the DJ yet.

Well I took it to the dealer for the 46000 mile service and asked about the noise. An hour later they come back and say two of the engine mounts are bad, one is broken and the other is on its way with the third being changed in case it is going to go bad as well.

$1000 later no noise. :( 46000 miles and engine mounts go bad, sheesh!

• 2 weeks later...