Five brake lights instead of three

I recently helped a friend modify his 2011 Kia so that the tails on the hatch would light up as brake lights and not just running lights.

This was done by tapping a wire to bridge a wire from a dedicated brake light to the power wire of the tail light. Very simple mod and looks great.

Just wondering if anyone has seen/tried this kind of mod done with a Journey? On my friends car we tapped in the brake light power wire for the spoiler brake light. I was considering trying this on a Journey, but with a camera and potentially other things I'd prefer to have seen it done before.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the wiring of the hatch and could share some ideas of which wires might be bridged that would be great. I'm thinking the best light to bridge with would be the third brake light on top of the hatch.

• 1 month later...

On the rear, take the drivers side black panel off, you will find all of the wiring for the brakes and hatch wiring.

If you have the 7 sweater, you'll need to take off the seat belt top mount. Take a meter and go hunting.

Wear gloves, have time and plenty of sun light.

I was thinking about tapping the liftgate tails into the power for the third brake at the top of the liftgate.

I haven't taken the panel off yet, but do you know if the third brake light power supply is accessible behind the liftgate panel or will I need to run wire into the roof/side panel?

• 2 months later...

having the 2010 model with no amber turn singnals I was going to try this for the hatch running lights to brake lights also, and since they have no amber turn signal there is a blank clear reflector on both sides and I was thinking of either buying a 2009 pair or cutting the hole myself and installing two more white bulbs, I would add more brake/running lights but since they are clear housing and not red I think it would look bad having read lenses with red leds and a clear lens with red leds, like the 2008+ chevy malibu LTZ that has LED bulbs in clear housing it looks odd, and having a red on top of a clear would be weird to me. But I plan on trying this this summer when its warmer out.