Audio Install Complete

Had my buddy/installer do a little mod to my Journey. Big thanks to Jeff at Bestbuy in Kingston, Ont. Sounds phenomonal!!!

Headunit: Kenwood 7120 with Navigation

Front Speakers: JBL GTI 6.5" Mids and tweeters

Rear Speakers: JBL Power series 6.5"

Front/Rear amp: JBL PX300.4

Subwoofer: JBL Power series 12" (Custom vented enclosure)

Sub amp: JBL BPX1100.1

Stinger wiring throughout.

Headunit:

JourneyPics012.jpg

Cargo Area:

Hatchview1.jpg

Cargo Area (stealth):

Hatchview4.jpg

Amps:

JourneyPics005.jpg

Amps/Jack:

JourneyPics007.jpg

• 1 year later...
Are you looking for help installing or product choosing?

I will soon start on my build as well.

Looking for some pointers. I want a really clean stealth install. My plan is to upgrade all the factory speakers, keep the factory radio, and add a subwoofer preferably somewhere that doesn't take up cargo room.

Would you happen to know what size speakers are in the doors and so on?

I have not popped the panel off yet, but I am 99.9% sure 6x9's in all doors. With that said I highly suggest getting a plate for to change them to 6.5's or 5.25's. I am also keeping stock unit for now due to wife will kill me knocking her in-dash 6 disc out.

Are you wanting to do it quality wise, or just enough to get by? Do you want a nice all around system that mesh well? Do you have the 3rd row? I have been in the industry for many years and can help you and give you pointers if wanted.

Oh and do you have 3rd row?

I have not popped the panel off yet, but I am 99.9% sure 6x9's in all doors. With that said I highly suggest getting a plate for to change them to 6.5's or 5.25's. I am also keeping stock unit for now due to wife will kill me knocking her in-dash 6 disc out.

Are you wanting to do it quality wise, or just enough to get by? Do you want a nice all around system that mesh well? Do you have the 3rd row? I have been in the industry for many years and can help you and give you pointers if wanted.

Oh and do you have 3rd row?

Yeah my wife would kill me too if I touched her 6 Disc cd changer. I want a really clean clear sound that will still thump during those rare occasions when I am all by lonesome. We do have the 3rd row and wifey does not want me messing with her cargo space so I know space is going to be a concern. I have no problem going with 6.5's but I am curious as why you think I should change. Is it because there are better component sets at 6.5's?

I really appreciate all your help and input. I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

I too have the 3rd row and I am going to have to do some measuring to figure out what exactly will work. I am actually in the process of designing my own woofers and subwoofer company, so I am having to spec out a few things with the room as well.

6.5's have a better sound as well as better quality choices. Round speakers/subs will always sound better :)

If you have yahoo or AIM let me know what it is and I can chat with you. I will measure everything when wife gets home from work to see what we can do and maintain room with 3rd row up.

After doing some measurements, looking like a single 10 or 12 sealed would work to keep some space behind 3rd row. Sub would take up beinh 1 seat and have room behind other seat. Maybe something from 500-1000 rms sealed would work just right.

As for components, I will be running Hybrid Audio, they are not cheap but you know the old saying, "You get what you pay for." Very true with these components, they have great frequency response and covers 6 octaves. I would highly recommend them if you want a real nice sound stage for mids and highs.

As for amps, I have a few buddies that own some nice companies as well as know few nice amplifiers that will work with whatever set you get. If you go high quality; Image Dynamics, SoundStream reference, DLS, ZED, or Alpine PDX amplifiers will be perfect. I myself will possibly run the soundstream or PDX if I can stack 2 under front seats. I perfer the Soundstream due to is nice crossovers, power device, and chipsets. Built very well and not like last years "cheap" Soundstream.

I would also recommend running the JL Cleansweep or Audio Control equivalent. It will clean the signal up from the headunit as well as a stronger input voltage.

After doing some measurements, looking like a single 10 or 12 sealed would work to keep some space behind 3rd row. Sub would take up beinh 1 seat and have room behind other seat. Maybe something from 500-1000 rms sealed would work just right.

As for components, I will be running Hybrid Audio, they are not cheap but you know the old saying, "You get what you pay for." Very true with these components, they have great frequency response and covers 6 octaves. I would highly recommend them if you want a real nice sound stage for mids and highs.

As for amps, I have a few buddies that own some nice companies as well as know few nice amplifiers that will work with whatever set you get. If you go high quality; Image Dynamics, SoundStream reference, DLS, ZED, or Alpine PDX amplifiers will be perfect. I myself will possibly run the soundstream or PDX if I can stack 2 under front seats. I perfer the Soundstream due to is nice crossovers, power device, and chipsets. Built very well and not like last years "cheap" Soundstream.

I would also recommend running the JL Cleansweep or Audio Control equivalent. It will clean the signal up from the headunit as well as a stronger input voltage.

this is awesome. I am on a budget so I have to be mindful of that. But I don't want to sacrifice quality to do it. Maybe you know of a good brand that wont break the bank. I like your ideas though. Are you going to do a component set in the front and back or just the front? Are you going to use one amp for the speakers and one for the sub? Sorry I have so many questions just a little excited. My yahoo s/n is coolie569. I'll be on intermittently from work then again tomorrow evening.

thanks a lot.

I sent you a request through yahoo. Need to know what kind of budget you want to work with and I can throw some ideas towards you :)

I will be running components in rear and front. Some people like fronts only, but I can tell a difference and perfer rear fill. 1 amp for components and 1 amp for sub/s. Not many make a 5 channel worth a crap anymore and if they do they are not cheap by no means.

It is very simple bud. It is a plastic plate that screws into the factory screws for the 6x9's in our case. Other than having the 6x9 cone, it has a cut out for either a 6.5 or 5.25 round speaker. Like this right here....

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4965_Scosche+SA69.html

if you have ANY questions on audio just ask, nothing to hard :) I have been doing this for over 10 years... the right way haha.

I've been working on mine for a little while now, added jl vr525 to the rear doors and have alpine spx-13ref for the fronts. Don't let crutchfield and other sites tell you there is only 2.6 inches of mounting depth, when i did the rear doors there is a mile behind there for mounting depth. there is a small post in there but when I mounted my componets it wasn't even close. My big project is building a stealth box slightly higher than the original cargo box ( no third row here!!) and mount 2 jl 500.1 a jl 300.4 and 2 yes 2 jl 10w7!!! Yes this thing is going to rock and roll!! I am an audiophile so not to much slamming here just some awesome tight bass, and maybe an occassional slam for the kiddies. 1300 watts at 4 ohm should do it. :D

I would not suggest the 500/1 JL amps nor the W7. They are both over priced and the slash amps are inefficient and do not take abuse well at all. They are regulated which is awesome with impedence rise and so for, but their amps are not their fine point. The W7's are quality wooers but a waste of money. I would suggest others to save money and get better frequency response in the mobile audio world.

A lot of people do not understand this, but music very rarely has tones that dip into the 20hz range. Majority of music is 35hz and up. When you build a woofer to extend down low you give up your daily music ability. Larger diameter suspension, heavier mass, and larger throw is what gives you the lower frequency, but when you try to reproduce the double bass or higher frequency's all above hurts and the woofer struggles.

I can help you choose something that is right for you and stealth. We Journey owners have a lot of room under our front seats for stackable or stealth amps. I will be doing this myself. Let me know if you want my help, shoot me an email or PM on yahoo. lowhz01@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...
It is possible I am sure at .3, but depends on how far window comes dow too. Have not and will not be cutting my doors up or glassing. Doing some high end 6.5 comps, no need for 8's :) May even throw a 3 way up front with a 4 inch in the dash, but not sure yet.

Yeah, I'm sure my wife would go nuts if I started curring and glassing her the doors in the Journey! She consider's it her car, I drive the F150.

We have the infinity OEM package in our Journey, at up to medium volume levels it has a good response and enough bass.

with no seperate midbass or sub it struggles at higher volume when I'm driving on my own.

Yeah, I'm sure my wife would go nuts if I started curring and glassing her the doors in the Journey! She consider's it her car, I drive the F150.

We have the infinity OEM package in our Journey, at up to medium volume levels it has a good response and enough bass.

with no seperate midbass or sub it struggles at higher volume when I'm driving on my own.

Don't mean to hi-jack the post but 04redmach1 you live about 100 miles from me here in GA...have you ever installed video? Although they are not in your town yet we have Fry's up here in Gwinnett county....they sell a lot of screens...I am the one that posted the schematics for the video output on the 6 disk... I ran a line for my video. SO my question would be how good are you at installing an overhead screen? here is a link to the screen.

http://www.frys.com/product/6064608?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I would like to put it to the side right ...not in the middle because I don't want it to block my rear view. Also you were correct in saying a 10 in seal sub for behind the 3rd row. I placed my amp in the storage box underneath in the back...it survived a 13 hour trip up north back in the summer so no overheating problem and is out of site. Not running anything great just a Pio sub with a JVC amp. I will post it so you can see. Now if your real slick...find a way to put an 8 in in the area above the left rear wheel. I have not found a way to crack that space open. In past trucks like the expedition you could remove a cover to get to the sub...in the journey it looks like you have to remove a full panel.

I myself do not do much installing. After I hurt my back, that relaly done it in for me lol. I do however have a VERY good friend who has a local shop and can do pretty much anything tht needs to be done. He does fiberglass, video, audio, alarm, and so forth. He has been installing for around 20 year. He has had 5+ cars on front cover of mags. If you want it done right, I will highly recommend him. I just build subwoofers and know A LOT of technical info ;)

As for putting the video up there, do you have rear air?

I can also have him look more in depth at mine to see what it takes to add an 8 in the rear panel. I am sure he can do it though, have not seen much that could stop him. Hit me up on yahoo chat or email and I can show you some work. lowhz01 lowhz01@yahoo.com

If you really want to make a difference, I can find you a nice component set in your price range to help. Grab a set of plates to run 6.5 comp set instead of the 6x9's. Run an amplifier to them, and you will be more than happy.