First time towing my boat with the Journey

Tonight picked my boat up from winter storage at the Marina, and getting fitted with a new trailering/mooring cover. First time I'd towed the boat with my Journey.

534886_281139688646804_100002523268260_619683_470383111_n.jpg

Boat trailer tongue is fairly heavy - I would estimate about 250 lbs or so - but barely even budges the rear suspension of the Journey downward when hooked up - surprised at how much load capacity the rear suspension has. I thought it would be soft and car like - pleasant surprise to see it's more like a truck.

And the Pentastar with six speed auto handles the boat with minimum drama - tows superbly well - feels like it could tow a lot heavier trailer if I needed it to. I'll bet the Journey with trailer could do 0-60 mph as fast as my old 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport could manage it empty - laugh.png. In fact, seems kind of comparable to my 2004 Ram 2500 with 5.7 in the way it tows the boat - maybe the Ram had a little more umph going up very steep hills.

Anyways, very happy with the Journey's hauling performance. I averaged 16.5 mpg over 20 miles of towing in some hilly country.

PS - I just noticed that the roofline of the Journey is similar to that of the Magnum wagons with the shape of the rear window, roofline curve, etc. I never noticed the 'family' resemblance, but I appreciate it now

I am not sure of the total trailer weight - The hull weight is 1200, add another 350 for the 75 hp outboard, batteries (100 lbs) trolling motor - 50 lbs, miscellaneous gear (100 lbs) and fuel 200 lbs. Then the Load Rite trailer must weigh 500-550 lbs, so the total trailer/boat combo must be around 2500 lbs (and that's if the live wells/bait wells are empty). Usually tongue weight of 10% is a good ratio to total trailer weight.

I did weigh the trailer tonque just now by putting my floor jack on a bath scale, and lifting just 6" behind the coupler - I got about 240-250 lbs so my guesstimate from lifting the tongue was quite close.

The point is... it barely even pushes the rear suspension on the Journey down - it's pretty beefy.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

I agree with you on the suspension travel with increased TW. I posted a while back (Sept 09) with pics of my 09 DJ hooked up to 3400 lbs of travel trailer. Without the load leveller bars in place my back end drops about 3 inches but returns to level once LL installed. TW estimated at 375 to 400 lbs. Not sure as my bath room scales can't reach that weight (yet heh heh)

Edited by BUGS

• 2 months later...