09 Journey rear LH doorlock

RickLogan

Hi, new here, our 09 rear LH door lock will no longer function, it will on occasion, but most of the time not, I am assuming that it is the actuator that is the cause. can anyone step me through checking this out? And replacing it if needed? How do I get the door panel off to check it?

Thanks

Does the rear LH door get used alot more than the RH one?

Being a Electrician(Industrial) and helping may people out with Auto issues.....

the first thing I would check is the wiring harness that moves between the door and car frame, usually the wires are inside the rubber flex housing.

Also just looking at the wires sometimes you can see the broken one,..........Other times the copper is broke inside the insulation and the wire looks fine...........check this out first before you start replacing actuators ,switches, etc......

I willing to bet the child seat is on the rear left hand door, due to the fact it's closest to the driver when taking them in/out. Most people will not keep walking around the back passanger side to put and strap a child in. I willing to bet this door gets used the most except for the drivers door of course..........Caper......

• Official Dodge Support

Hi, new here, our 09 rear LH door lock will no longer function, it will on occasion, but most of the time not, I am assuming that it is the actuator that is the cause. can anyone step me through checking this out? And replacing it if needed? How do I get the door panel off to check it?

Thanks

Rick,

Before you tear the door apart make sure that the lock plunger knob has enough clearance to move freely up and down in the hole that goes through the door panel. There was a service bulletin on this that I am posting below. Not sure if it applies to your vehicle but easy to check.

NUMBER: 23-004-09

GROUP: Body

DATE: March 4, 2009

SUBJECT:

Doors Do Not Lock Or Unlock Properly When Using Power Door Lock System Or Remote

Keyless Entry

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves modifying the door trim panel to assure the lock knob will not

interfere with it.

MODELS:

2009 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This Bulletin applies to vehicles built before August 6, 2008 (MDH 0806XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some customers may experience difficulty locking or unlocking the doors when using the

power door lock system or remote keyless entry transmitter. Mechanical interference

between the lock knob & door trim panel may be preventing the keyless entry system form

operating properly.

1. Open Door.

2. Ensure doors are unlocked.

3. Using your hand wiggle the lock knobs.

4. Does the interior lock knob have wiggle room in the door panel?

a. Yes >> This Service Bulletin does not apply, Further diagnosis is required.

b. No >> Proceed to Step #5

5. From inside the vehicle lock and unlock the door with the power door lock

switch/FOBIK. Watch the lock knob and door panel as switch is being activated.

6. Was there any interference detected between the lock knob and door panel?

a. No >> This Service Bulletin does not apply, Further diagnosis is required.

b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7

7. Remove door trim panel. Refer to the detailed removal and installation procedures

available in DealerConnect> TechCONNECT under: Service info> Body>

Door-Front/Rear> Panel, Door Trim> Removal.

8. Use the FOBIK to lock and unlock the doors.

9. If the locking assembly work's properly then the lock knob has been rubbing the Door

Trim Panel.

10. Inspect the three ribs inside the lock knob hole and verify how they look compared

to number two and three in.

11. Do the ribs match number two.

a. Yes >> Continue the repair.

b. No >> This Service Bulletin does not apply.

12. Adjust the ribs angle accordingly with a square body file

NOTE: Only modify the bottom portion of the rib(s) keeping top portion square to

avoid rattle sounds.

You really have a service bulliten for that...

They been making power door lock for years....LOL...

They can't get a knob to clear a hole in the door panel correctly?

Now I am starting to worry about my Push Button Start..........That seems a little more high tech....Caper...........

..I guess the key thing to start a car was wrong all these years......

• Official Dodge Support

You really have a service bulliten for that...

They been making power door lock for years....LOL...

They can't get a knob to clear a hole in the door panel correctly?

Now I am starting to worry about my Push Button Start..........That seems a little more high tech....Caper...........

..I guess the key thing to start a car was wrong all these years......

Caper,

The panel referred to in the TSB was in it's first 6 months of production as the Journey had just came out at that time. It happens, and when the problem is identified they issue a TSB. Just hate to see the customer tear his door apart if it may not be necessary.

Edited by DodgeCares

My point was ...Something as simple as a door trim panel. I guess it looked good on paper (the design)

There are alot more complex issues that make me scared down the road.........I would never think to check a hole in the door trim panel to see if the lock knob was getting caught......Yes he should check this before taking the door apart......Caper.........