I recently bought a 2012 SXT and so far I LOVE it. One question I have is regarding Off-Road Lights (KC, etc.). Our family does a lot of camping, fishing, hiking and Geocaching. I would like to install some off road lights attached to a light wing (a license plate bracket / light bar) so I can easily remove them when I am not going to be needing the lights.

Since the vehicle is so new I am not too keen on drilling a hole in the dash to mount a switch. I am curious if anyone has installed such lights and how they did it. I have contemplated tapping them into the driving lights so I cn use its exhisting switch but I'm not sure if it would be too much of a drain on the system.

I have done a lot of electrical work on older vehicles but these new ones seem tricky with all the sensors and computers. Any help / advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

You hit right on with your computer comment,the TIPM

or Totally Integrated Power Module doesn't like current

flows the system does not expect.

I think your best bet is direct from battery via switch to

lights,if you insist on integrating to existing switching

then use a relay powered by that switchline current

to apply power directly from battery to lamps.

Haven't done this myself but had a Dodge Caliber for

5 yrs and it was the same generic beast when dealing with

TIPM and current flows.

Thanks for the feedback! I had a feeling that is what I was going to do. I guess it is time to start looking to the best place to put the switch. Battery -> Relay -> Switch -> Lights seem like the safest way to go. Next question... Will this in anyway affect my warranty? Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Just did my Hella Micro FF lights on my 2011 Journey. Had them on my Patriot but be da### if I was going to let them go on the trade. Made up a ft plate holder with small wings, painted with bedliner paint. Wired them hot to the batt through a relay, have 100 w bulbs in them. A simple toggle switch in the bottom left part of the column trim seemed to be the least damaging spot and easily operated .Switched on the ground side to avoid looking for power under the dash. Does one use Photobucket to post pics here? I'll gladly post a couple. These lights are a good match for the looks of the ft end.

I got the lights all mounted and love the results. I went with a Carr Light Wing so I could easily remove the setup if needed. I mounted the switch just to the right of the light dimmer switch. For me it seemed to be the easiest place to run the wires with the least amount of damage. I power the light off the battery through a relay powered by the high beams. Basicall if the switch is off and I turn on my high beams then all i get is high beams. If the switch is on and I turn on my high beams then I get high beams and KC lights. It sure does brighten up dark lonely roads, lol.

photo

Here is the switch location.

Light Wing

After this picture was taken I ran the wires inside the wings and they can be plugged in below and behind the license plate bracket for a much cleaner and wire free look. It also conceals the wires when the wing is removed so they aren't just dangling.