Electrical issues; anyone else?

Hello all,

Took delivery on my Journey (SXT/AWD) last Saturday (6/14) and have had the following issues:

-airbag warning light stays on during morning drive to work; no problem during drive home (possible moisture issue in electronics, maybe?)

-will sometimes have no power inside car after start-up!!!...no power to radio, AC, power windows, etc., then within a few minutes, everything kicks on and power is restored.

I'm taking it back for service on Monday, but was just wandering if anyone else has experienced similar issues.

I will update this post as to how problems were resolved by dealer.

Thanks

Hello all,

Took delivery on my Journey (SXT/AWD) last Saturday (6/14) and have had the following issues:

-airbag warning light stays on during morning drive to work; no problem during drive home (possible moisture issue in electronics, maybe?)

-will sometimes have no power inside car after start-up!!!...no power to radio, AC, power windows, etc., then within a few minutes, everything kicks on and power is restored.

I'm taking it back for service on Monday, but was just wandering if anyone else has experienced similar issues.

I will update this post as to how problems were resolved by dealer.

Thanks

Sounds like a loose/incorrectly assembled connector.

Yours isn't affected by the recall, correct?

Sounds like a loose/incorrectly assembled connector.

Yours isn't affected by the recall, correct?

My Journey was manufactured in Jan. 08. I believe the recalled vehicles began with Feb. manufacturing, so it looks like I just missed it.

adamja

My wifes Journey also had an issue with the Airbag warning light. They replaced a side curtain airbag and the "occupant safety module". Turned out the problem is actually with some connectors that where manufactured by Delphi Electronics. Apparantly they stoped using them in production because of them failing and causing communications errors.

Getting the replacements took 3 days because they are not in distribution.

Good Luck...

Colwyn

adamja

My wifes Journey also had an issue with the Airbag warning light. They replaced a side curtain airbag and the "occupant safety module". Turned out the problem is actually with some connectors that where manufactured by Delphi Electronics. Apparantly they stoped using them in production because of them failing and causing communications errors.

Getting the replacements took 3 days because they are not in distribution.

Good Luck...

Colwyn

Colwyn

My Journey has been in since Monday. It is now Wednesday. Yesterday I was given a loaner. I was told this has been seen in a few vehicles, and parts had to ordered. This sounds very familiar to what you saw with your vehicle. I will update when I get more info.

Thanks

My Journey had the same problem with the airbag warning light staying on and I got it fixed today. I'm not sure what part was replaced but one had to be ordered. My car was built in February but is not on the recall list according to the dealer.

I will have all of the paperwork on the warranty work when I take the car back once again to the dealer to have some kind of "kit" replaced to correct an unusual noise in the car's exhaust system. The part is being ordered and hopefully will be in within a week or so. At least I can drive the Journey now without worrying about my airbag not working since that problem has apparently been corrected. The noise issue is just a small annoyance and not a safety issue. It should be resolved soon.

As soon as I get the paperwork on what was done to my Journey by the service dept. at the dealer I will post here to let others know how my car's problems were fixed in case someone else has the same problems in their Journey.

These are the only problems I have had so far and I have had my Journey since May 12.

Just an update on the original post: Journey still at dealer waiting for part(s) (going on 10th day)! I was given a loaner (07 Grand Caravan) the second day. This seems to be getting a bit ridiculous. It's been at the dealer longer than I've had the car. I know the Lemon Law is something like 3 repairs of the same problem, or 30 days of cumulative service over the first year, but do I have any recourse currently? Or am I just out of luck until they get the part?

Just an update on the original post: Journey still at dealer waiting for part(s) (going on 10th day)! I was given a loaner (07 Grand Caravan) the second day. This seems to be getting a bit ridiculous. It's been at the dealer longer than I've had the car. I know the Lemon Law is something like 3 repairs of the same problem, or 30 days of cumulative service over the first year, but do I have any recourse currently? Or am I just out of luck until they get the part?

Finally got the Journey back yesterday. Item replaced was the connector for the ORC module. Apparently, this fixed both the airbag warning light staying on, and the intermittent loss of power in the cabin. All work was covered under warranty (I only had the car for a week!), and a loaner was provided (after me asking for one) for 9 of the 10 days it was being serviced. Overall, very unhappy with the long delay in getting the part, and lack of information/updates provided to me during the service. I had to call every day to get updates (instead of them calling me), and was just given the old "still waiting on the part to come in" reason for delay. As the operations manager at my company, I know if we provide the customer bad product, we make every effort to repair/replace the product in a most expeditious manner. The fact that it took 10 days to get a small part for a new vehicle amazes me. I know things go wrong, but it seems this could have been handled a little better.

I hope the info provided helps anyone else that might encounter the same problem.

Finally got the Journey back yesterday. Item replaced was the connector for the ORC module. Apparently, this fixed both the airbag warning light staying on, and the intermittent loss of power in the cabin. All work was covered under warranty (I only had the car for a week!), and a loaner was provided (after me asking for one) for 9 of the 10 days it was being serviced. Overall, very unhappy with the long delay in getting the part, and lack of information/updates provided to me during the service. I had to call every day to get updates (instead of them calling me), and was just given the old "still waiting on the part to come in" reason for delay. As the operations manager at my company, I know if we provide the customer bad product, we make every effort to repair/replace the product in a most expeditious manner. The fact that it took 10 days to get a small part for a new vehicle amazes me. I know things go wrong, but it seems this could have been handled a little better.

I hope the info provided helps anyone else that might encounter the same problem.

:banghead Hi ,I picked up my Journey on April 17. one week later brought it in for a rubbing sound on the left front side. Then on June 17 I got a check engine light called dealer and they told me to bring it in on monday the 20, there was no problem with driving the car. Brought it in they checked it out for 3 hours said they needed to order a harness for the o2 sensor,it would be in july 17, but it was ok to drive the car until the part was in. Three days later I'm driving down the road and it just stops runnung,and won't restart. I called the service department they gave me the number for the towing I waited 2 1/2 hours. When I get to the dealer they said the battery was dead. When they recalibrated their instruments the said it might be the harness. After looking under the hood and smelling burned wires they gave me a loaner(PT LOSER) i BOUGHT A 7 PASSENGER CAR AND THEY GIVE ME A 5 AS A LOANER FOR ALMOST A MONTH. i also understand that things go wrong ,but i worked at a plant that made harnesses for GM and we make alot a shift . Enogh that a person who buys a 2009 should not be waiting a month to get their car back. :banghead:

one week later brought it in for a rubbing sound on the left front side.

This seems to be a problem endemic to all Journeys, or at least the 3.5L ones. Maybe I'm holding my breath, but I'm expecting a TSB on this issue.

Then on June 17 I got a check engine light called dealer and they told me to bring it in on monday the 20, there was no problem with driving the car. Brought it in they checked it out for 3 hours said they needed to order a harness for the o2 sensor,it would be in july 17, but it was ok to drive the car until the part was in. Three days later I'm driving down the road and it just stops runnung,and won't restart. I called the service department they gave me the number for the towing I waited 2 1/2 hours. When I get to the dealer they said the battery was dead. When they recalibrated their instruments the said it might be the harness. After looking under the hood and smelling burned wires they gave me a loaner(PT LOSER) i BOUGHT A 7 PASSENGER CAR AND THEY GIVE ME A 5 AS A LOANER FOR ALMOST A MONTH. i also understand that things go wrong ,but i worked at a plant that made harnesses for GM and we make alot a shift . Enogh that a person who buys a 2009 should not be waiting a month to get their car back. :banghead:

This problem sounds exactly what this recall was supposed to cover.

:banghead Hi ,I picked up my Journey on April 17. one week later brought it in for a rubbing sound on the left front side. Then on June 17 I got a check engine light called dealer and they told me to bring it in on monday the 20, there was no problem with driving the car. Brought it in they checked it out for 3 hours said they needed to order a harness for the o2 sensor,it would be in july 17, but it was ok to drive the car until the part was in. Three days later I'm driving down the road and it just stops runnung,and won't restart. I called the service department they gave me the number for the towing I waited 2 1/2 hours. When I get to the dealer they said the battery was dead. When they recalibrated their instruments the said it might be the harness. After looking under the hood and smelling burned wires they gave me a loaner(PT LOSER) i BOUGHT A 7 PASSENGER CAR AND THEY GIVE ME A 5 AS A LOANER FOR ALMOST A MONTH. i also understand that things go wrong ,but i worked at a plant that made harnesses for GM and we make alot a shift . Enogh that a person who buys a 2009 should not be waiting a month to get their car back. :banghead:

Sounds like a bum dealer as much as anything else. When I had to put mine in for a recall fix I was given another Journey to drive for the next couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of times the radio wouldn't come on in my wife's Journey. We're going to take it in soon, so I'll recommend they look at the ORC module. Thanks!

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

thank you for posting this,

i have an R/T and i've been having the same problem with no power to the cabin. it has happened 3 times now. once our window was stuck down in the pouring rain, another time our turning signals didnt work. the third time we were in grizzly bear country and the window was stuck down...scary stuff!!

the dealership told me that in order to diagnose the problem, i'd have to bring my car in WHILE the problem was happening. kinda hard to do since it only lasts a few minutes!

i'm due for my 2nd oil change soon so i'll mention that module when i'm in.

i took it in to get the wiring harness thing fixed, only took 2 hours so thats good!

• 2 weeks later...
thank you for posting this,

i have an R/T and i've been having the same problem with no power to the cabin. it has happened 3 times now. once our window was stuck down in the pouring rain, another time our turning signals didnt work. the third time we were in grizzly bear country and the window was stuck down...scary stuff!!

the dealership told me that in order to diagnose the problem, i'd have to bring my car in WHILE the problem was happening. kinda hard to do since it only lasts a few minutes!

i'm due for my 2nd oil change soon so i'll mention that module when i'm in.

i took it in to get the wiring harness thing fixed, only took 2 hours so thats good!

update: took the journey in yesterday and they have concluded that it is the 'wind module'. should have a new one in for me in a week and a half. i'm supposed to keep driving the car until it comes in