Odd Stalling/Losing power issue

DogSportz

I did a search, but couldn't find anything similiar. I have 2009 SXT, 96k miles, with remote start, dealer maintained. In December, I had the remote start on, came out to car, put the key in, had full power. Backed out of the driveway and the car lost power - could not brake or steer. I was able to force the wheel enough to get it over to the side of the road. Took the key out, put it back in and it started up, full power. I changed the battery in the key fob, thinking it was the key fob transmitter, no issues until this AM. Exact same thing happened. I do not get a check engine light or anything, it just turns off and all power stops. Unfortunately the dealerships are like if it isn't doing it they can't fix it, especially if I am not throwing a code.

Has anyone had this happen, what was the fix? Is it possible there is some misfire between the remote start, and the car not recognizing I put a key in and the engine immobilizer is kicking in?

Thanks for the help!

I did a search, but couldn't find anything similiar. I have 2009 SXT, 96k miles, with remote start, dealer maintained. In December, I had the remote start on, came out to car, put the key in, had full power. Backed out of the driveway and the car lost power - could not brake or steer. I was able to force the wheel enough to get it over to the side of the road. Took the key out, put it back in and it started up, full power. I changed the battery in the key fob, thinking it was the key fob transmitter, no issues until this AM. Exact same thing happened. I do not get a check engine light or anything, it just turns off and all power stops. Unfortunately the dealerships are like if it isn't doing it they can't fix it, especially if I am not throwing a code.

Has anyone had this happen, what was the fix? Is it possible there is some misfire between the remote start, and the car not recognizing I put a key in and the engine immobilizer is kicking in?

Thanks for the help!

I'm not aware of the issue you are having but you could try capturing the problem on video so the dealership can't say that it didn't happen.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks for the help!

Dog,

When you say "loses power" do you mean the car stalled out? Please elaborate. Was the remote start a Mopar unit or an aftermarket unit?

Remote start was a Mopar unit, car was ordered with what I wanted on it, everything was factory. It stalls out and loses power, can not brake, use steering, put it in park, HVAC cuts off. Have been lucky it only has happened backing out of my driveway.

When you say "loses power" do you mean the car stalled out? Please elaborate. Was the remote start a Mopar unit or an aftermarket unit?

Hard to take video, it doesn't happen on a regular basis and when you are trying to keep from hitting parked cars on the road that makes it difficult as well :-)

I'm not aware of the issue you are having but you could try capturing the problem on video so the dealership can't say that it didn't happen.

Thanks for the help!

• Official Dodge Support

Remote start was a Mopar unit, car was ordered with what I wanted on it, everything was factory. It stalls out and loses power, can not brake, use steering, put it in park, HVAC cuts off. Have been lucky it only has happened backing out of my driveway.

Hard to take video, it doesn't happen on a regular basis and when you are trying to keep from hitting parked cars on the road that makes it difficult as well :-)

Thanks for the help!

Dog,

It almost sounds to me like the vehicle is not reading that the FOB is in the on position. Not sure where your located but there was a service bulletin for the WIN module on some of the Journeys. My suggestion is that if the dealer cannot figure out the issue then a call to the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center should be made. They can get a Chrysler tech involved to work with the dealer and identify this issue.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

• 3 weeks later...