engine block heater

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone tried to use their block heater? Mine does not seem to heat up very much, i drive about 6 to 8 km's before any heat comes out.

I had it checked at the dealer last night and they said it is working.

I used to have a chevy malibu and that block heater was awesome, i barely had to warm my car up on cold days.

any comments??

Thanks

Shelly

How long did you have it plugged in before you started driving?

The block heater is not used for you to have heat right away when driving, it is there to keep the engine block from freezing and keeping the antifreeze luke warm.

there are also may different type of elements with different wattage ratings. Dodgecares may know the watts on the journey elements.

Also most block heaters now have a thermostat built right into the wire now to prevent the element from comming on until say for example -17 deg C.hope that helps a bit.

Remember the older block heaters drew lots of amps when plugged in they even needed a separte circuit so the current draw was around 10-12 amps easy.

The Brass plant I work in make some thread- in block heaters for the high end models/makes but we do not put the elements in just forge and CNC machine the brass.

.....Caper...

Edited by caperinmuskoka