Homelink not programming

Hi again,

1 day old Journey and we're having a heck of a time programming the Homelink for our two garage doors. I've been to the Homelink website and searched around the web abit, but no resolution so far. Maybe a call tot heir customer service is next, but wanted to try here first.

I have a '04 Impala that has Homelink also and that had no issues with programming when I got it. I did all the steps in the manual and off their website -

- reset the Homelink by holding the 2 outside buttons for 20 sec.

- pressed the "Learn" button on my rolling code Craftsman garage door openers

- within 30 sec. I was pressing the Homelink button twice for 2 sec. and then a third time for 2 sec.

- I even tried resetting the openers codes by holding the Learn button for 6 seconds and erasing all the transmitters.

- All of my other transmitters and Homelink works.

Any ideas??

TIA,

Mike

- pressed the "Learn" button on my rolling code Craftsman garage door openers

Mike, I did the same mistake when I went to program my Homelink. This is not required. Your garage door opener does not learn the Homelink unit installed in your Journey, rather the Homelink learns (clones) a transmitter for your garage door opener (or other Homelink devices). In other words, the Homelink transmitter in your Journey is programmed by listening momentarily to a transmitter it will ultimately mimick.

What you will need is a transmitter for your garage door opener that is already programmed (and working) for your garage door opener. Next, you need to press and hold the Homelink button that you want to program. When the flashing pattern changes, hold the transmitter close by the Homelink control and press down the button on the transmitter for a second or two. Release both buttons and the Homelink should be programmed.

I have found that I need to press the button on the Homelink for about half a second to get my garage door opener to respond, as opposed to the swift click I give the OEM transmitter. Not certain if this is a characteristic of the Homelink system or how I happened to teach the Homelink in my Journey.

Note: If you look in the manual, there is a section about programming the Homelink. There is a sequence for clearing out the Homelink settings...something to the effect of holding down the two outside buttons for 20 seconds or something. You may want to consider clearing things out and starting fresh.

The short of it is, you don't touch the garage door opener itself when programming the Homelink in your Journey.

I believe for a rolling code craftsmen (what my garage door is) you do have to use the "learn" button... at least I did. I also programmed a second button in the Journey for my mother-in-laws garage door which is not a rolling code remote and it was easy, just hold the transmitter up to the visor, press the buttons as per the instructions and the journey learned the code. However, for my rolling code model I had a bit of difficulty also. To be honest I cannot remember exactly how I did it but it took a fair number of tries. Basically I think first I had to teach the journey the code from a current rolling code transmitter and then I had to use the learn button the garage door to "sync" with the Journey. It was much more difficult then my mother-in-laws door which did not require the use of the learn button on the garage door. I think in the end I actually followed the instructions exactly in the Journey manual ignoring what was written on my garage door opener and it worked. I was side tracked somewhat by trying to follow some of the step by step direction that are written on my garage door opener.

For my Genie Garage door, the homelink programmed per the first set of instructions in the manual. For the liftmaster garage door, I had to use the purple program button on the garage door unit and then program the homelink, per the 2nd set of instructions in the manual.

It was a little confusing, but I just spent some time programming some universal keypads for the garage doors, and programming the homelink was about as much of a process.

For my Genie Garage door, the homelink programmed per the first set of instructions in the manual. For the liftmaster garage door, I had to use the purple program button on the garage door unit and then program the homelink, per the 2nd set of instructions in the manual.

It was a little confusing, but I just spent some time programming some universal keypads for the garage doors, and programming the homelink was about as much of a process.

Interesting differences. I have a brand-new Craftsman (Chamberlain in Sears paint, basically) which I installed this winter. Most definitely a rolling code system, yet I didn't have to hit the learn button on the opener at all, basically I stopped at step 3 in the manual. Maybe I got lucky.

With the help of Homelink support via their 800 number, it is solved. They did verify that there are steps missing from the manual that may or may not effect certain kinds of openers. Here's what they had me do and it worked:

1. reset Homelink by holding 2 outer buttons for 20 seconds

2. hold original transmitter next to homelink button to be programmed and press both buttons simulatneously.

3. hold both buttons until homelink does a fast blink

4. release both buttons

5. press and hold homelink button until light goes solid.

Viola, all works.